• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doggy client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doggy client

I’ve done a small project for an independent estate agent without a written contract, I have been trying to contact them in the last 2 months to finalise the work and deliver it, but for some reason they are avoiding me (and I have no bloody idea why). Now I want to invoice them but I am not sure whether I can legally challenge them if they refused to pay.

There is no written contract, just the emails I have sent and received including the price of the project.

Any advice much appreciated

I think I remember seeing a video about a woman with a doggy client.

But anyway...

I think it's clear why they're avoiding you. A verbal agreement stands, although obviously it's a bit harder to prove, but your emails should be all the proof you need. Had you agreed to contact them regarding finalising the work before asking for any money? If you don't need their approval, just send an invoice. If you do, it might be a bit more tricky, and ultimately it may not be worth the cost and hassle to sue if it's only a small project.

If you really can't contact them, you could try sending them a letter registered post (so you have proof that they've received it).

Of course IANAL.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

you can try.

You need to collect the evidence that you have a contract and present a case to the judge.

None of us can really tell you if you might win without seeing that evidence.

tim

Comment

There was no agreement for an approval. I did another project for them 4 years ago & they paid once the project finished. I accepted this one just for the sake of IR35, so I got someone else to do the coding. Now I am going to pay him from my pocket. Actually the emails between me and the person who did the coding and also the emails which the client sent about the requirement might help.

Thanks a lot for your advice

Comment

Originally posted by CtrlC
          There was no agreement for an approval. I did another project for them 4 years ago & they paid once the project finished. I accepted this one just for the sake of IR35, so I got someone else to do the coding. Now I am going to pay him from my pocket. Actually the emails between me and the person who did the coding and also the emails which the client sent about the requirement might help.

Thanks a lot for your advice
          How did it help IR35, it doesn't

Comment

I think if have more than one client that would help IR35. I know it’s per contract but my impression is that at the of the day I need to proof that I am runnig a business with all the risks. My current contract is IR35 friendly but I thought having more than one client would be helpful specially if I have a supplier as well who invoices me. I have another small client as well, and I (actually my company) provide them services time to time.

I might be wrong, am I just obssesed with IR35?

Comment

Working...
            X