PDA

View Full Version : CUK London Christmas Party - 14 December

mudskipper
24th October 2018, 09:28
Upstairs room at Ship and Shovell available on 14th December (next to Charing Cross)

Buffet would need to be pre-ordered.

Min spend £450 so we'd need more than 3 or 4 of us to show up.

Please indicate likely attendance and I'll get it booked.

SimonMac
24th October 2018, 09:32
Maybe, but almost certainly yes, need to consult SWMBO

DaveB
24th October 2018, 09:35
Maybe, but almost certainly yes, need to consult SWMBO

WHS +1

mudskipper
24th October 2018, 10:25
I need to confirm (and pay deposit) by Friday.

NickFitz
24th October 2018, 11:24
I'm in :cheers:

DaveB
24th October 2018, 13:42
WHS +1

We are in.

northernladuk
24th October 2018, 14:01
Erm.. that last option on the poll... Doesn't really work for me :(

mudskipper
24th October 2018, 15:53
Erm.. that last option on the poll... Doesn't really work for me :(

You'd better go for option 1 then. :)

mudskipper
24th October 2018, 15:54
Premier Inn Hub at Westminster - £109 flex (cancel on the day). Less than a mile's stagger from venue.

northernladuk
24th October 2018, 15:55
You'd better go for option 1 then. :)Not sure everyone else would agree :D

Working on it.

xoggoth
24th October 2018, 16:48
14 December ? That's my birthday!

NickFitz
24th October 2018, 21:18
Premier Inn Hub at Westminster - £109 flex (cancel on the day). Less than a mile's stagger from venue.

Which one? There's a Hub called Westminster Abbey and another called Westminster St. James Park… both the same price at the moment, both about the same distance :confused:

NickFitz
24th October 2018, 21:24
Which one? There's a Hub called Westminster Abbey and another called Westminster St. James Park… both the same price at the moment, both about the same distance :confused:

Ah, wait - the St. James one is more expensive, they just show the lower price on the map… I've taken a punt on the Abbey :)

mudskipper
24th October 2018, 21:30
Ah, wait - the St. James one is more expensive, they just show the lower price on the map… I've taken a punt on the Abbey :)

Yep - I've booked the wrong one before. St James does proper breakfast, but you can walk round the corner :) I've booked Westminster Abbey.

NickFitz
24th October 2018, 21:34
Yep - I've booked the wrong one before. St James does proper breakfast, but you can walk round the corner :) I've booked Westminster Abbey.

What's wrong with the breakfast at the Abbey one? :confused:

EDIT: ah, looks like those Hub places only do the Continental breakfast, or "no breakfast at all" as it's more correctly known. Booking amended :eyes

mudskipper
25th October 2018, 06:07

EDIT: ah, looks like those Hub places only do the Continental breakfast, or "no breakfast at all" as it's more correctly known. Booking amended :eyes

St James does a reasonable breakfast. It's help yourself, but includes bacon, sausage, egg, beans :)

xoggoth
25th October 2018, 08:13
What are these things really like, meeting people you've never met in real life? Is there an easy escape root if Assguru or Dumstick turn up?

mudskipper
25th October 2018, 08:20
What are these things really like, meeting people you've never met in real life? Is there an easy escape root if Assguru or Dumstick turn up?

Come along and find out :) We'll bring a birthday cake.

They can't be that bad - people keep coming back!

northernladuk
25th October 2018, 10:16

So is the Savoy!

NickFitz
25th October 2018, 11:04
St James does a reasonable breakfast. It's help yourself, but includes bacon, sausage, egg, beans :)

That's more like it, but as the in-crowd is going to be at the Abbey, I've booked there :)

I can always wander over to the Regency Café if needs be :D

mudskipper
25th October 2018, 11:24
That's more like it, but as the in-crowd is going to be at the Abbey, I've booked there :)

I can always wander over to the Regency Café if needs be :D

Good shout! (no pun intended!)

ladymuck
25th October 2018, 12:56
#metoo!

Thanks for organising! Can't see the poll on the phone app so will pick an option when I'm on a PC

mudskipper
25th October 2018, 15:37

For St James, read Westminster Abbey, and vice versa. It's WA that does the better breakfast, which means once again I've booked a different hotel to the one I thought I'd booked!

ladymuck
25th October 2018, 17:52
For St James, read Westminster Abbey, and vice versa. It's WA that does the better breakfast, which means once again I've booked a different hotel to the one I thought I'd booked!

Even though it's only half an hour away from home, I may book digs too. But surely we have to go to Regency Cafe for brekkie?

So - this is the address of the "correct" one to book?
21 Tothill St, Westminster, London SW1H 9LL

mudskipper
25th October 2018, 20:53
Even though it's only half an hour away from home, I may book digs too. But surely we have to go to Regency Cafe for brekkie?

So - this is the address of the "correct" one to book?
21 Tothill St, Westminster, London SW1H 9LL

That's the one I've booked. It's the cheaper of the two. (Not recommended for romance if you're bringing Mr LM)

Will confirm pub tomorrow.

Paaarteee! :cool2:

DaveB
25th October 2018, 20:57
That's the one I've booked. It's the cheaper of the two. (Not recommended for romance if you're bringing Mr LM)

Given the usual state of attendees at closing time I don't think that's likely to be an issue, one way or the other.

vwdan
26th October 2018, 09:05
Hoping to be there - need to do some juggling first.

ladymuck
26th October 2018, 10:00
Hoping to be there - need to do some juggling first.

Bring your balls, you can do juggling in the pub too! We need some entertainment until the booze kicks in

NickFitz
27th October 2018, 10:46

That's the Westminster Abbey one, but they only offer the continental breakfast in their booking process :confused:

mudskipper
27th October 2018, 12:55
That's the Westminster Abbey one, but they only offer the continental breakfast in their booking process :confused:

It's a continental + bacon/sausage/egg (might be just scrambled?), but it's not a proper English breakfast.

Regency cafe is definitely a better bet.

ladymuck
27th October 2018, 19:46
+1 for the Regency! (although whether I'm bringing a +1 is tbc)

vwdan
31st October 2018, 09:20
Hotel booked :) Just me this year as Mrs VW has somewhere to be on the Saturday

northernladuk
6th November 2018, 18:11
Hotel booked :) Just me this year as Mrs VW has somewhere to be on the Saturday

Yeah, sorry about that. Bad planning on my part.

mudskipper
6th November 2018, 22:04
Deposit has been paid. Buffet needs to be pre-ordered, so need to

a) get some people to come
b) work out roughly how many

If you're thinking about it but you're shy and nervous, then come along! Everyone has a first time, and it's normally more fun than you think it's going to be :)

northernladuk
7th November 2018, 09:49
If you're thinking about it but you're shy and nervous, then come along! Everyone has a first time, and it's normally more fun than you think it's going to be :)

I'd echo this. I was pretty nervous about going for years but finally took the plunge and had a great time. I look forward to this every year now.

If you are umm'ing and ahhh'ing I say come along. As good a bunch of cockwombles as you could ever hope to meet.

Bring your shades if Pondy is wearing is xmas shirts again though.

And bring you eye mask in case SimonMc shows his bum again.

northernladuk
7th November 2018, 09:49

1 + 1 for me please :D

ladymuck
7th November 2018, 10:02

Assume just me, +1 is unlikely

DaveB
7th November 2018, 10:14

1 + 1 here.

northernladuk
7th November 2018, 17:32
Assume just me, +1 is unlikelyGet yourself back on Tinder then?

greenlake
7th November 2018, 19:31
Assume just me, +1 is unlikely
Get yourself back on Tinder then?

Isn't she on Tinder every night....? :laugh

http://i.imgur.com/igcBLhz.jpg

NickFitz
8th November 2018, 22:21

After my failure to arrive last year for cardiac reasons, I'm just hoping to manage 1 :D

NickFitz
10th November 2018, 00:43

I'd echo this. I was pretty nervous about going for years but finally took the plunge and had a great time. I look forward to this every year now.

If you are umm'ing and ahhh'ing I say come along. As good a bunch of cockwombles as you could ever hope to meet.

FWIW, my first CUK meetup was in December 2007, and I still keep coming back for more :)

ladymuck
10th November 2018, 11:14
Just spotted that 14 December is Save the Children Christmas Jumper Day. Perhaps we can up our game this year?!

mudskipper
10th November 2018, 18:08
Just spotted that 14 December is Save the Children Christmas Jumper Day. Perhaps we can up our game this year?!

A special prize for the winner (GhostOfTarbera is going shopping!)

NickFitz
18th November 2018, 17:56
Just looking at photos from the Regency Café on Google Maps: Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/8vfp7dphkuk) :tongue

I'm going to need an extra sausage, mind :)

mudskipper
18th November 2018, 18:42
Just looking at photos from the Regency Café on Google Maps: Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/8vfp7dphkuk) :tongue

I'm going to need an extra sausage, mind :)

It is the most excellent breakfast.

ladymuck
18th November 2018, 20:45
It's a multi-sensory experience!

mudskipper
28th November 2018, 22:05
Right - how many buffets am I ordering?

ladymuck
28th November 2018, 22:15
Right - how many buffets am I ordering?I couldn't eat a whole one

NickFitz
29th November 2018, 20:25
I couldn't eat a whole one

Challenge accepted! :D

gnarledcontractor
3rd December 2018, 08:40
Having been a reader of these forums since about 2013 and then very recently a contributor, I have been mulling over whether to come along. (A bunch of strangers off t'internet and all that)

I live within reasonable commuter distance of London so its not too late to pop along for a few drinks?

vwdan
3rd December 2018, 09:39
Having been a reader of these forums since about 2013 and then very recently a contributor, I have been mulling over whether to come along. (A bunch of strangers off t'internet and all that)

I live within reasonable commuter distance of London so its not too late to pop along for a few drinks?

Please do - there used to be a lurker who nipped into the meets. Barely posted on the forums at all. You'd be more than welcome.

ladymuck
3rd December 2018, 10:13

You are very welcome!

mudskipper
4th December 2018, 10:22

Excellent - please do!

mudskipper
4th December 2018, 10:27
Just ten days away! (I still haven't ordered the buffet...)

Would be great to see some new faces - we're a friendly bunch.

Top tips!

1) Wear a Christmas Jumper (optional)
2) Bring a secret santa (about a fiver, also optional, but good fun!)
3) Wear comfy shoes so that when we do the traditional "walk the streets after closing time to find somewhere open" you're not left behind!

ladymuck
4th December 2018, 10:53
Top tips from a veteran there, especially the last one.

I have two secret santa gifts this year. One I had bought already and now I'm regifting one I recently received.

northernladuk
4th December 2018, 12:00
Top tips from a veteran there, especially the last one.

I have two secret santa gifts this year. One I had bought already and now I'm regifting one I recently received.I beg your pardon??? Regifting your secret santa from last year?? :igmc:

PhiltheGreek
4th December 2018, 13:16
I beg your pardon??? Regifting your secret santa from last year?? :igmc:

Those scratch and sniff knickers not proving as popular as you'd thought eh?

ladymuck
4th December 2018, 14:58
I beg your pardon??? Regifting your secret santa from last year?? :igmc:

No, I was part of the secret santa on FlyerTalk and one of the items is nice but naff - it's certainly not offensive.

northernladuk
4th December 2018, 14:59
No, I was part of the secret santa on FlyerTalk and one of the items is nice but naff - it's certainly not offensive.Like mine was??? :|

ladymuck
4th December 2018, 15:03
Like mine was??? :|

My goodness you're being a bit precious today, time of the month?

No, your gift was just fine, thank you.

northernladuk
4th December 2018, 15:04
My goodness you're being a bit precious today, time of the month?

No, your gift was just fine, thank you.

:banana:

:hug:

NickFitz
4th December 2018, 15:06

Come one, come all! The more the merrier, and we're not that bad really :cheers:

DaveB
4th December 2018, 15:58
Come one, come all! The more the merrier, and we're not that bad really :cheers:

For varying definitions of the phrase :D

mudskipper
7th December 2018, 15:54
This time next week folks!

(I better get that buffet ordered...!)

ladymuck
9th December 2018, 19:03
This time next week folks!

(I better get that buffet ordered...!)

Excitements!

What are the buffet options?

mudskipper
9th December 2018, 19:51
Excitements!

What are the buffet options?

I've ordered :) 10x sandwich plates + 7 choices. Which should stretch I would have thought.

SANDWICH PLATES
Served on your choice of white or wholemeal bread

Mature Cheddar & Pickle
Veggie & Houmous
Tuna, Spring Onion & Mayonnaise
Egg & Mustard Cress
Hand Carved Ham & Tomato

FINGER BUFFET SELECTION

Baked Camembert with Bread
Chicken Goujons with Sweet Chilli Sauce
Honey & Mustard Glazed Cocktail Sausages
Plaice Goujons & Tartare Sauce
Vegetable Samosas with Tzatziki
Vegetable Spring Rolls with Sweet Chilli Sauce
Onion Bhajis with Tzatziki
Crudities with Houmous & Dips
Mince Pies & Christmas Crackers for Everyone!
~~~~~~~
Sandwich Plates & 3 Choices: £10.50
Sandwich Plates & 5 Choices £12.50
Sandwich Plates & 7 Choices £14.50

mudskipper
9th December 2018, 19:54
@DaveB, not sure there's much that MrsB can eat on that - perhaps she can bring something, or have a big lunch and nibble on the sausages?

ladymuck
9th December 2018, 20:00
Should be enough! Thank you for sorting and ordering

NickFitz
10th December 2018, 02:30
Crudities with Houmous & Dips

Should that be "crudités", or do we pay for a member of staff to use offensive and vulgar language to us? :D

Thanks for sorting it out :)

northernladuk
10th December 2018, 02:34
No chutney?

But thank you.

mudskipper
10th December 2018, 08:27
do we pay for a member of staff to use offensive and vulgar language to us? :D

I think you can get that if you go clubbing with Tarby afterwards :)

DaveB
10th December 2018, 12:22
@DaveB, not sure there's much that MrsB can eat on that - perhaps she can bring something, or have a big lunch and nibble on the sausages?

No worries, as long as we know which ones have fish in them everything else is fair game if she doesnt mind a bit of belly ache later :)

northernladuk
10th December 2018, 12:45
No worries, as long as we know which ones have fish in them everything else is fair game if she doesnt mind a bit of belly ache later :)Well she's put up with a pain in the arse this long so I'm sure she will be fine :D

DaveB
10th December 2018, 13:00
Well she's put up with a pain in the arse this long so I'm sure she will be fine :D

To be fair she only see's you once a year, and the alchohol takes the edge off. ;)

mudskipper
11th December 2018, 06:52
Three days to go!

Venue is Ship and Shovell | Charming Local London Pub in heart of Charing Cross (https://www.shipandshovell.co.uk/)

The pub is split across both sides of the alley - only one half has an upstairs. We're in that upstairs room from 6pm.

eek
11th December 2018, 11:03
Enjoy yourselves I'm sadly busy and can't be arsed to head to London...

NickFitz
11th December 2018, 12:47
Three days to go!

Venue is Ship and Shovell | Charming Local London Pub in heart of Charing Cross (https://www.shipandshovell.co.uk/)

The pub is split across both sides of the alley - only one half has an upstairs. We're in that upstairs room from 6pm.

Which side is it? Left or right as seen from Craven Street (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5075109,-0.124876,3a,75y,54.72h,82.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUSQUupLIuHirL9x2flo7ag!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656)? :confused:

mudskipper
11th December 2018, 13:31
Which side is it? Left or right as seen from Craven Street (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5075109,-0.124876,3a,75y,54.72h,82.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUSQUupLIuHirL9x2flo7ag!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656)? :confused:

I'm going for left, but it's a while since I've been there and possible I approached from the other direction. :)

If it's not left, then it's right.

mudskipper
11th December 2018, 13:37
possible I approached from the other direction. :)

It looks like I did.

Left coming from the arches.

Ship and Shovell, Charing Cross, London, WC2N 5PH - pub details # beerintheevening.com (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/86/864/Ship_and_Shovell/Charing_Cross)

mudskipper
11th December 2018, 13:37
possible I approached from the other direction. :)

It looks like I did.

Ship and Shovell, Charing Cross, London, WC2N 5PH - pub details # beerintheevening.com (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/86/864/Ship_and_Shovell/Charing_Cross)

NickFitz
11th December 2018, 16:13
It looks like I did.

So right coming on foot from the hotel. Ta :)

NickFitz
11th December 2018, 16:14
It looks like I did.

So right coming on foot from the hotel. Ta :)

vwdan
12th December 2018, 09:06
Looking forward to it :) Got my Secret Santa too

NickFitz
12th December 2018, 17:21
Looking forward to it :) Got my Secret Santa too

That reminds me, I need to remember where I put the wrapping paper :confused:

ladymuck
13th December 2018, 09:34
That reminds me, I need to remember where I put the wrapping paper :confused:

I'd suggest using a Tesco's carrier bag but now they have monetary value you may not want to double your Secret Santa expenditure

:D

NickFitz
14th December 2018, 11:35
It's tonight! Don't forget, everybody :banana: :cheers: :banana:

NickFitz
14th December 2018, 14:29
On the train, along with LCFC - though they may be going somewhere else :)

northernladuk
14th December 2018, 15:07
What time are people getting there?

administrator
14th December 2018, 15:17
Just spoke to Nick to see how he was getting on with the forum tweaks and he reminded me the Xmas do was tonight :laugh Unfortunately Mrs Admin has her work do tonight so would have struggled to get out of the house tonight even if I did have more effective control of my diary...

Hope those of you attending have a great night. I will make sure I make a note of the date next year when it's announced!

northernladuk
14th December 2018, 15:28
Just spoke to Nick to see how he was getting on with the forum tweaks and he reminded me the Xmas do was tonight :laugh Unfortunately Mrs Admin has her work do tonight so would have struggled to get out of the house tonight even if I did have more effective control of my diary...

Hope those of you attending have a great night. I will make sure I make a note of the date next year when it's announced!But did you put a round behind the bar for us?

NickFitz
14th December 2018, 16:04
At the hotel :)

mudskipper
14th December 2018, 16:37
At the hotel :)

Me too.

mudskipper
14th December 2018, 16:38
What time are people getting there?

Ready when anyone else is!

mudskipper
14th December 2018, 16:45

No time like the present - heading over now.

NickFitz
14th December 2018, 16:47
No time like the present - heading over now.

I’ll set off too then :)

Forgot my Secret Santa :tantrum:

mudskipper
14th December 2018, 16:49
I’ll set off too then :)

Forgot my Secret Santa :tantrum:

I'll wait for you in reception

NickFitz
14th December 2018, 17:40
When you get to the pub, ask for the Crow’s Nest :cheers:

greenlake
14th December 2018, 17:40

Have a great time everyone! Be safe. :cheers:

http://i.imgur.com/6Y8uC2Z.gif

NickFitz
15th December 2018, 01:07
And a very fine evening it was :cheers:

Many thanks to mudskipper :happy

northernladuk
15th December 2018, 01:41
Great night. Thanks to all that came. So pleased Ladymuck agreed to arrange next year's do as well. Excited already.

mudskipper
15th December 2018, 08:24
How are our heads this morning?

And what time is brekkie?

NickFitz
15th December 2018, 08:49
How are our heads this morning?

And what time is brekkie?

Urgh :sick

Regency for breakfast? I’ll need that extra sausage, I reckon… :tongue

mudskipper
15th December 2018, 08:54
Urgh :sick

Regency for breakfast? I’ll need that extra sausage, I reckon… :tongue

Definitely. 9:30 from the hotel?

vwdan
15th December 2018, 08:56

I can do that!

NickFitz
15th December 2018, 08:56

I’ll start shambling about trying to get my act together :)

NickFitz
15th December 2018, 10:58
And a most excellent breakfast it was :)

Safe journeys home, everyone :wave:

mudskipper
15th December 2018, 11:14
And a most excellent breakfast it was :)

Safe journeys home, everyone :wave:

Very nice to see you all. A good evening, if a tad over indulgent!

NickFitz
15th December 2018, 14:22
Home :)

Very nice to see you all. A good evening, if a tad over indulgent!

That's the whole point, surely? :D

mudskipper
16th December 2018, 07:42
Mince Pies & Christmas Crackers for Everyone!

No mince pies and crackers! We were done!

northernladuk
16th December 2018, 11:52
No mince pies and crackers! We were done!Although there were some tasty crackers there if that counts? :D

vwdan
19th December 2018, 11:26
Cracking meet - grab to meet some new faces :)

mudskipper
26th December 2018, 14:04
And how many came down with a virulent lurgie :suity: after visiting That London?

We should be told.

:wave:

ladymuck
27th December 2018, 11:04
And how many came down with a virulent lurgie :suity: after visiting That London?

We should be told.Being a local, I have a strong natural immunity. Sadly all the out of towners bring their own strains of lurgy. By refusing to socialise, I have (so far) managed to dodge their attempts to kill me off

GreenMirror
27th December 2018, 15:48
Being a local, I have a strong natural immunity. Sadly all the out of towners bring their own strains of lurgy. By refusing to socialise, I have (so far) managed to dodge their attempts to kill me off

So have you started organising next years event yet?

NickFitz
28th December 2018, 13:35

We should be told.

:wave:

mudskipper
28th December 2018, 20:13

We should be told.

Mine is pretty much gone now. The occasional satisfactory hoik of phlegmatic mucus, but feel tip top apart from that.

ladymuck
28th December 2018, 21:04
So have you started organising next years event yet?

:tumble: