• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boundary dispute resolution options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boundary dispute resolution options

Nothing specific to contractors, but just wondering if any of you learned folk can help me out ...

We have a boundary dispute with our neighbour. I am told that it is recommended to attempt to use dispute resolution services before going down the legal route. Apparently courts do not look favourably on cases/plaintiffs where dispute resolution has not been attempted.

RICS has something called Neighbour Disputes Service, but this is a bit pricey.

Do you know of any other arbitration/mediation/resolution services for boundary disputes?

Have you tried talking, at all?

Comment

Get psychocandy to park his family caravan out front until they cave in.

Comment

Do you like movies about gladiators?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          Have you tried talking, at all?
          Yes and so far it has been civil. But we clearly disagree about the law on boundaries, and they are not going to do anything (they are responsible for that fence) without being forced to, and lose land.

Comment

Fence disputes.

So the boundary between my house and my neighbour is a 40m long fence (not one single fence panel, of course). I believe the neighbour was responsible for it but couldn't be 100% sure. But it was a knackered old fence, far beyond fence paint.

So I went and bought new fences, popped next door and said I'd ordered new fences and hoped he didn't mind. He offered to pay me half the money and then helped me install them.

Obviously no dispute over where the boundary was and frankly I didn't give a toss who was responsible for the fence. I wanted a new fence, so I paid for one.
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Paid half for one surely?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by schater View Post
                Nothing specific to contractors, but just wondering if any of you learned folk can help me out ...

We have a boundary dispute with our neighbour. I am told that it is recommended to attempt to use dispute resolution services before going down the legal route. Apparently courts do not look favourably on cases/plaintiffs where dispute resolution has not been attempted.

RICS has something called Neighbour Disputes Service, but this is a bit pricey.

Do you know of any other arbitration/mediation/resolution services for boundary disputes?
                You could try growing up, you and your neighbour. Be realistic in your expectations. Failing that get a copy of the land registry details, roll them up and shove 'em up your neighbours arse! The aforementioned land registry enema as it's known works if you're in the right or in the wrong as the sense of satisfaction is immense either way!

IANAL - and you posted this in General, what did you expect?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Garden Law advice on fences, trees and boundaries

Great forum for this type of stuff.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Boundary disputes are not worth it. Unless you pay a surveyor to determine your boundary (and your neighbours could still dispute it) its very hard to know with any certainty precisely where your boundary is. What's the issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X