• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agile... is the bubble bursting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agile... is the bubble bursting?

Agile is ageist - discuss

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Define “old”

If by old you mean those that are unwilling to try or understand a different way of thinking because “what’s wrong with the old way” then yes they should be replaced by those who are willing to adapt or at least try something new. I’m not saying that the new thing should be accepted de facto but it should at least be given a chance.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

All these new fangled ideologies are bulltulip designed to provide useless management with an excuse to exist. Simply being creative, diligent and having perseverance is the only approach that actually works. You don't create great code and systems by cuddling your work mate

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
        ... You don't create great code and systems by cuddling your work mate
        Depends what she's like.

Comment

the IT circle of life.

Agile does allow you to decouple your business processes from the monolith. However businesses need to be careful that they're not mistaking agile for, get it done quick but leave a tonne of tech-debt or unmanageable IT because they dont know what it does. Businesses also need to be mindful that developers dont grow on trees and you also need someone to lead them. Also moving them on the path of the business not on the path of what they think the business should be doing.

Comment

Indeed, Agile might provide a clever way to sidestep age discrimination laws. Companies can’t fire you because of your age, but there’s no law that says companies can’t adopt some fuzzy, poorly defined new attribute that every employee must have — and then fire you for lacking that attribute. There’s also no law that says a company can’t force employees to adopt insane, pointless new methodologies and then gaslight them until they quit.
            God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Have to agree with the statement "
              I’d say about 90 percent of it is bulltulip,” he told me. The problem is that nobody knows which 90 percent"
              but then I'm an old git
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I used to punt myself out as an Agile coach but found it too stressful.

In my experience almost everyone is doing Scrumbut.

As in "We've implemented Scrum, but...."
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

It seems 'agile' now has three different meanings in IT/business.

1) a software development project management strategy
                  2) a flexible method of working (a new one to me this, but after I'd done a load of background research for an interview it seems the agile they had on the job spec is not #1).
                  3) the one this thread is about

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I had a client with a "Lean & Agile" mantra for IT, but it really just meant "Quick & Crufty".

I prefer HAYSIMTATMAJLMGOWI methodology: "How about you stop inviting me to all these meetings and just let me get on with it"
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                    X