• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pan-EU Contract, Short term gigs, Different client locations . Moving Residence to CH

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pan-EU Contract, Short term gigs, Different client locations . Moving Residence to CH

Hi,

I'm about to start a new contract with a consultancy that involves lots of short term assignments at different client locations all over Europe, Middle East and Africa with durations varying from a few days up to a month.

Initially I'll use my UK Ltd but I plan to change my country of residence to Switzerland by renting an apartment in CH, getting what ever type of resident permit I need (B?) very early next year (Jan/Feb) and then start a GMBH there and then switch from using my UK Ltd to the Swiss GMBH. Ultimately closing down the UK ltd.

It is possible but it would be rare that any of the assignments would actually be in Switzerland. In fact I would like only be at the residence in CH at weekends and on weeks were there was no client across the EU for me to service. The rest of the time I'd be staying in whatever hotel accommodations were near the client I was servicing in any given week.

Anyone know of any Contractors Accounting firms in CH ( like JSA in the UK ) that handle LTD company creation, payroll, VAT and other statutory admin ?

Kt.

This post (and thread) will give you more info. https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2384518
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ktyak View Post
      Hi,

I'm about to start a new contract with a consultancy that involves lots of short term assignments at different client locations all over Europe, Middle East and Africa with durations varying from a few days up to a month.

Initially I'll use my UK Ltd but I plan to change my country of residence to Switzerland by renting an apartment in CH, getting what ever type of resident permit I need (B?) very early next year (Jan/Feb) and then start a GMBH there and then switch from using my UK Ltd to the Swiss GMBH. Ultimately closing down the UK ltd.

It is possible but it would be rare that any of the assignments would actually be in Switzerland. In fact I would like only be at the residence in CH at weekends and on weeks were there was no client across the EU for me to service. The rest of the time I'd be staying in whatever hotel accommodations were near the client I was servicing in any given week.

Anyone know of any Contractors Accounting firms in CH ( like JSA in the UK ) that handle LTD company creation, payroll, VAT and other statutory admin ?

Kt.
      Will the client allow you to use a non-UK company?
      If they did, you do realise it's not just a switch? It's a new contractual relationship between your new company and the client/agency. You personally have no commercial relationship.
      Neither of those things are impossible but do make sure with the client (and any agency) that they'll allow this. Especially as you're wanting to do it 2 months.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

There are no JSA equivalnts in Switzerland. You find yourself a local accountant who knows the local tax laws. Since each community and canton some say in what the laws are, you need local advisors. Power is at cantonal level, not at federal.

Owning a GmbH does not in itself give residence or work rights in Switzerland. Dividends are taxed as income tax with no tax relieft (in some cases, though, it does make sense to declare a dividend). You get money out of the company through wages and expenses mainly. As an EU citizen you are automatically granted a residencey/work permit once you have a contract with your GmbH. What happens after Brexit is anyone's guess. Note that a B permit is temporary and needs to be renewed every now and then. After 10 years (post-Brexit) you'll qualify for a C-permit - permanent residency - if you can demonstrate your local language skills.

You should look at English Forum Switzerland
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X