PDA

View Full Version : Dominic Raab Resigns!

Platypus
15th November 2018, 08:59
Not a placeholder!

Blimey!

saptastic
15th November 2018, 09:07
Just when you thought there was an ending in sight.....
This can only end in one super hard withdrawl as our politicians will never agree.

Platypus
15th November 2018, 09:13
No deal is better than a bad deal. This is a bad deal.

I'm having buyers remorse :mad:

Hobosapien
15th November 2018, 09:29
:yay: Another project manager realises (a bit too late considering the history of brexit) that the boss wants to meddle and it's not only a poisoned chalice but also a noose for a scapegoat.

Let May stand and fall on her own decision to push through a plan that couldn't have been more damaging to the UK if Drunker had wrote it himself. :violin:

Sounds like the proposal would have been voted down in parliament anyway unless May was willing to give the DUP a few more billion to back her on NI soft border with mainland UK. :eyes

All heading for a new referendum where government will be hoping a vote remain is delivered this time. That or a hard brexit and chaos as there has been insufficient planning and will need the EU to agree a transition period.

Oh well. :popcorn:

AtW
15th November 2018, 09:30
No deal is better than a bad deal. This is a bad deal.

I'm having buyers remorse :mad:

:rollin:

scooterscot
15th November 2018, 09:47
Here come the PM candidates

Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab resigns (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46219495)

Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab has resigned saying he "cannot in good conscience support" the UK's draft Brexit agreement with the EU.Theresa May announced on Wednesday evening that she had secured the backing of her cabinet for the agreement, after a five hour meeting.
But several ministers were understood to have spoken against it.
And there are suggestions of moves among Conservative backbenchers to force a no-confidence vote in her.
The prime minister is due to make a Commons statement on the Brexit agreement at 1030 GMT.
Mr Raab - a Leave supporter who was promoted to the cabinet to replace David Davis when he quit in protest at Mrs May's Brexit plans - is among a group of senior ministers thought to be unhappy with the agreement.
Live: Reaction to Raab resignation
He was closely involved in drafting the agreement, which sets out the terms of Britain's departure from the EU.
In his resignation letter, Mr Raab said he could not support it because the regulatory regime proposed for Northern Ireland "presents a very real threat to the integrity of the United Kingdom".
And, he added, the "backstop" arrangements aimed at preventing the return of a hard Irish border would result in the EU "holding a veto over our ability to exit".
"Above all, I cannot reconcile the terms of the proposed deal with the promises we made to the country in our manifesto at the last election," he told the prime minister.
The BBC's Norman Smith said Mr Raab's departure puts pressure on other cabinet members to quit, raising the prospect of a "domino effect" that could end in the break-up of the cabinet.
Remain-backing Conservative MP Anna Soubry tweeted: "Raab's resignation marks the end of PMs Withdrawal Agreement. This is v serious the PM will clearly be considering her position. My own view is that we need a Govt of National Unity and we need it now."
Conservative Brexiteer MP Anne Marie Morris told BBC News she believed enough Tory MPs had now sent letters to the chairman of the 1922 committee to trigger a leadership contest.

AtW
15th November 2018, 09:49
:rollin:

scooterscot
15th November 2018, 09:49
Why can't I delete posts? Where is my right to forget?! :mad

sirja
15th November 2018, 09:51
Interesting how Brexit secretaries resign, AFTER deals they helped negotiate are announced:rollin:

AtW
15th November 2018, 09:55
Accept no cheap substitutes to the Official AOC protected threads!

:smokin

scooterscot
15th November 2018, 09:55
exactly, do as I do not as I say.

WTFH
15th November 2018, 09:56
So, officially, who's in charge of Brexit now? Is it all just Michel Barnier, or have the Tories got anyone left who will represent the UK?

Whorty
15th November 2018, 09:56
:yay: Another project manager realises (a bit too late considering the history of brexit) that the boss wants to meddle and it's not only a poisoned chalice but also a noose for a scapegoat.

Let May stand and fall on her own decision to push through a plan that couldn't have been more damaging to the UK if Drunker had wrote it himself. :violin:

Sounds like the proposal would have been voted down in parliament anyway unless May was willing to give the DUP a few more billion to back her on NI soft border with mainland UK. :eyes

All heading for a new referendum where government will be hoping a vote remain is delivered this time. That or a hard brexit and chaos as there has been insufficient planning and will need the EU to agree a transition period.

Oh well. :popcorn:

It is indeed :popcorn: time.

Brexiteers must be in a panic though - if they bring down May, and a GE is the end result, they may never get their Brexit. Labour may have a leave leader, but I can't see them getting a majority in Westminster so they will need the support of SNP and we know they are remain. If Labour get in the Brexit will be as soft as Shaun's head :tongue

I am so loving watching all this unfold. It's better than a badly written soap opera :rollin:

AtW
15th November 2018, 09:58
Komrade Kolonel Korbyn

HTH

DaveB
15th November 2018, 10:10
Esther McVey gone now as well.

Domino's anyone?

administrator
15th November 2018, 10:12
Accept no cheap substitutes to the Official AOC protected threads!

:smokin

FTFY. Merged :D

Cirrus
15th November 2018, 10:14
This can only end in one super hard withdrawl as our politicians will never agree.There was never going to be any deal - good or bad. There was never the slightest reason to suppose the EU would set up some sort of Special Anglo-European Trading Zone. The Brexiteers couldn't get away from cake-and-eat-it but it was always pie in the sky.

There was only

1) Remain
1a) BRINO or
1b) Cancel Brexit

or

2) Leave
2a) Hard Brexit

We would aways eventually get to this denouement. But what you need to notice is Brexit has lost a lot of mindshare. The Tories will tear themselves apart over the bad deal but Option (2) has all but gone. It's now just a matter of what kind of (1) we get. And although very noisy it doesn't really matter (unless you are some sort of religious nut who thinks 'sovereignty' is somehow relevant in the real world).

WTFH
15th November 2018, 10:16
Domino's anyone?

Great idea!
Can I have a Pepperoni feast please.

Better than popcorn for this.

scooterscot
15th November 2018, 10:23
Rees-Mogg sought after reading through draft EU report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQj2NP25TIo&feature=youtu.be&t=11

AtW
15th November 2018, 10:48
FTFY. Merged :D

:tantrum:

Jog On
15th November 2018, 10:52
Esther McVey gone now as well.

Domino's anyone?

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/624/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2018/11/15/7a614a1e-b6fa-4e46-93fd-549d7768a047.jpg

She can do shampoo adverts now.

DaveB
15th November 2018, 10:56
Rees-Mogg sought after reading through draft EU report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQj2NP25TIo&feature=youtu.be&t=11

I thought that was the latest meeting of the European Research Group.

cojak
15th November 2018, 11:50
Where’s Liam Fox in all of this? Will he show any guts or is he a craven git?

TestMangler
15th November 2018, 11:59

Liam Fox & David Davis are classic shit politicians, who sound good/sensible/plausible when carping from the sidelines. Give them something to actually do and they become useless and invisible.

OwlHoot
15th November 2018, 13:09
Komrade Kolonel Korbyn

HTH

or as he was known in the KGB, Agent Cob :tongue

WTFH
15th November 2018, 13:14
or as he was known in the KGB, Agent Cob :tongue

I wonder has he ever met Trump, since they are working for the same boss?

TestMangler
15th November 2018, 13:25

David Mundell (and Ruth Davidson) both said they would resign immediately if there was any scenario where different parts of the UK were working under different rules or systems.

Where is Mundell today ? Slagging Raab off for resigning. Prick.

WTFH
15th November 2018, 13:28
So Raab resigned over the deal he negotiated.

Do we expect him to launch a protest against his resignation next?

Perhaps with his time off he'll go to Dover to count the amount of traffic that comes off the cross channel ferries.

cojak
15th November 2018, 15:19
Incoming!!!!

Tory Vice-Chairman gone too...

TestMangler
15th November 2018, 15:42
Justice sec on the radio a while ago (can't remember his name).

Him : 80% of the public support Mrs May's deal.

Interviewer: Is that a fact ?

Him : I used that figure to illustrate my opinion.

Interviewer: What is the source of that statistic ?

Him: I unreservedly withdraw that statement.

:laugh :laugh

Hobosapien
15th November 2018, 15:55
Raab current bookies favourite to succeed May as PM if a leadership battle ensues. Though succeed is not the word I'd use even though I just have.

What do the cons hope to achieve that May couldn't, by replacing her? :freaky:

Whorty
15th November 2018, 16:40
Raab current bookies favourite to succeed May as PM if a leadership battle ensues. Though succeed is not the word I'd use even though I just have.

What do the cons hope to achieve that May couldn't, by replacing her? :freaky:

Raab is the ERG's puppet. They hope they can strong arm him into doing their bidding, but keeping their own hands clean. Dirty, slimmy ERG members!