PDA

View Full Version : Xmas decorations up yet?

Jog On
20th November 2018, 15:42
Mrs Jog is keen to get decorations up and has been for a couple of weeks now. She seems to think I'm the decision maker on when is acceptable to put them up - as if I'm the big meenie saying 'not yet' and not 'society' as evidenced by lack of trees and decorations up around the neighborhood.

That being said neighbor over the road who usually turns his house into great big light-box has made a start but not switched anything on yet...

Bearing in mind that shops and adverts seem to find it acceptable to start celebrating in September - has anyone put up their decorations yet? If not yet then when?

TwoWolves
20th November 2018, 15:46
Do what makes you happy.

My eldest (9) is busting to get the tree up already and another house in the village has a giant illuminated snowman outside as of last weekend.

NickFitz
20th November 2018, 16:02
Inside the house, or outside if restrained and tasteful: put them up whenever you like; leave them up all year if you want.

Your neighbour over the road: exile to Rockall, burn his home, and plough salt into his land.

WTFH
20th November 2018, 16:06
We've got some presents lying around to wrap, and The Wife (tm) bought some tat the other day that will be going up, but not yet.

Maybe just before we go off skiing, but more likely the couple of days between when we get back and the 25th.

ladymuck
20th November 2018, 16:25
I never put decorations up. I barely tolerate the cards I'm given

northernladuk
20th November 2018, 16:28
I never put decorations up. I barely tolerate the cards I'm given

Damn girl, I like your style. Sounds like we'd make a perfect couple.

BoredBloke
20th November 2018, 16:38
We're away this year so we're not having any!

Hobosapien
20th November 2018, 16:40
I noticed rather bemusedly that some of the local pubs already have their trees up partially obscuring the rugby at the weekend. :spank:

None of the neighbours that I can see (about 100 from my vantage point over the estuary :tongue) have any decs up outside yet, though one has a rope light all the way down their garden all year round. I presume to guide them to an outside lav at the bottom of their garden or something. Haven't been that interested to dig out the binoculars to check. :nerd

Mexican stand off time to see who folds first and starts the domino effect. Won't be me. :eyes

Jog On
20th November 2018, 16:59
I noticed rather bemusedly that some of the local pubs already have their trees up partially obscuring the rugby at the weekend. :spank:

None of the neighbours that I can see (about 100 from my vantage point over the estuary :tongue) have any decs up outside yet, though one has a rope light all the way down their garden all year round. I presume to guide them to an outside lav at the bottom of their garden or something. Haven't been that interested to dig out the binoculars to check. :nerd

Mexican stand off time to see who folds first and starts the domino effect. Won't be me. :eyes

This is exactly the situation that is being masked as me being a meenie...

ladymuck
20th November 2018, 17:02
You should put them up on Christmas Eve and take them down on Boxing Day.

greenlake
20th November 2018, 17:52
Xmas decorations up yet?

I had all mine done soon after Halloween....

http://i.imgur.com/vQktBfm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PtZBlJt.jpg

GJABS
20th November 2018, 18:24
I might buy a tree this year, and put it on the front lawn adorned with many decorations, including Santa, angels and holly. All the local kids will love it.
And then I'll set fire to it and laugh ha ha haa.. :glasses

xoggoth
20th November 2018, 18:54
I had all mine done soon after Halloween....

Neighbours over the road really did. Went up as soon as they took the life size seated skeleton off the front drive.

Old Greg
20th November 2018, 20:54
The kids know that if there is any sign of a Christmas decoration in the house before December, Olontzero will slit their throats on Christmas Eve.

vwdan
20th November 2018, 21:14
No, we agreed we'd wait until after my son's birthday which is in December. That said, he'll be 2 this year and will appreciate Christmas much more so I'm pretty excited tbh

original PM
21st November 2018, 07:23
About 2 weeks before - although think the missus will push for 3

then they come down on the 12th Night - which is Jan 5th this year.

WTFH
21st November 2018, 08:45
One of the things that delays us putting up a tree is waiting for the NT to announce what days they are doing a hill clearing of them, or equally waiting for a good evening with a clear moon and clearing a couple anyway. :eyes:

DaveB
21st November 2018, 09:11
Mrs B is agitating to get them put up now. We compromised on Dec. 1st.

Praying for rain as it will mean the outside tree can't go up yet. Simon Mac will confirm why, having been involved in last years logistical efforts.

Jog On
21st November 2018, 10:19
About 2 weeks before - although think the missus will push for 3

then they come down on the 12th Night - which is Jan 5th this year.

Mrs B is agitating to get them put up now. We compromised on Dec. 1st.

Praying for rain as it will mean the outside tree can't go up yet. Simon Mac will confirm why, having been involved in last years logistical efforts.

As was pointed out to me by a bus driver (on the number 32), some lune in Skewen has had an Xmas tree (illuminated) standing in the front bay window of a house.

Since August.:eyes

Chez Strangelove is unlikely to have any decorations whatsoever.

Looks like I'm not the only meenie then.

WTFH
21st November 2018, 10:26
One of the things I like about having a Christmas tree is burning it. The smell of the pine and the way the needles go up in flames

ladymuck
21st November 2018, 10:33
One of the things I like about having a Christmas tree is burning it. The smell of the pine and the way the needles go up in flames

Am I right in thinking the oils in pine are really quite flammable?

BR14
21st November 2018, 10:38

Yep,and the combination with cheap chinese lights, has warmed many a house at xmas time :D

WTFH
21st November 2018, 10:40

Yes, sticky and flammable. Almost like adding demerara to petrol in a milk bottle.

DaveB
21st November 2018, 10:43
Looks like I'm not the only meenie then.

There are 12 days of Christmass, none of them are in ****ing November.

WTFH
21st November 2018, 11:23
There are 12 days of Christmass,..

And there are 24 gins in the Ginvent Calendar.
Ginvent Calendar (2018 Edition) - Master of Malt (https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/drinks-by-the-dram/ginvent-calendar-gin/)

DaveB
21st November 2018, 11:36
Ginvent Calendar (2018 Edition) - Master of Malt (https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/drinks-by-the-dram/ginvent-calendar-gin/)

A livener with breakfast and a nightcap before bed. Perfect.

Platypus
21st November 2018, 14:39
My tree will go up December 1st. Alexa will have the honour of switching on the lights.

Although Christmas themed cushion covers went on this morning, about 3 seconds after they arrived from eBay!

I have a few other decs that'll go up when the tree does.

:o

Platypus
21st November 2018, 14:44

When I was looking to get one similar, I couldn't find one. So I've made one, in true Blue Peter style. I finished it this morning actually. 24 different 5cl miniature bottles of gin and a small bottle of champagne for Christmas Day.

Actually it's not totally dreadful! :tongue

greenlake
21st November 2018, 15:39
When I was looking to get one similar, I couldn't find one. So I've made one, in true Blue Peter style. I finished it this morning actually. 24 different 5cl miniature bottles of gin and a small bottle of champagne for Christmas Day.

Great idea! I think I'll make an entire 2019 calendar.... :happy

http://i.imgur.com/AiUpgtL.jpg

ladymuck
21st November 2018, 16:39

Actually it's not totally dreadful! :tongue

Master of Malt let you make a custom one - I got one for HWMBO last year and filled with various vintages of cognac, armagnac, and whisky with a few gins to fill the gaps.