• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else have to spend hours reviewing "pull requests"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else have to spend hours reviewing "pull requests"?

Loving all this agile scrum nonsense.

My days feel like this mostly.

Not sure "Agile" and "Using a distributed version control system" are the same thing, TBH

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Not sure "Agile" and "Using a distributed version control system" are the same thing, TBH
      Where I work it's all part of the mantra, i.e. to be agile you must use a distributed VCS. Where I work everything is "agile" even the meetings, the coffee machine, the car park...if someone doesn't like something they say "sorry but your comment isn't agile" and everyone looks at them in horror.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Where I work it's all part of the mantra, i.e. to be agile you must use a distributed VCS. Where I work everything is "agile" even the meetings, the coffee machine, the car park...if someone doesn't like something they say "sorry but your comment isn't agile" and everyone looks at them in horror.
        Can't see it on here:

Comment

I think it's on the new one.

Comment

Where I work everything is "agile" even the meetings, the coffee machine, the car park...if someone doesn't like something they say "sorry but your comment isn't agile" and everyone looks at them in horror.
            Well, I think we now know your role in the team....

Comment

Agile doesn't really work without tools like git. The key is that feature development can work in parallel with Testing/QA/Bug-fix etc. This sucks in a whole load of other tooling to make it all manageable.

I'm currently doing a consultancy where I'm evangelising all this agile+dev/ops+CI/CD stuff. It's going down a storm with devs and middle-management but the finance director wants me dead.

Comment

Replace "agile" and "distibuted VCS" with some of the trendy lefty activist keywords... (E.g. "inclusive" and "trans wimmin's officer")

Tulip - agile has been taken over by millenial snowflakes.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                  I'm evangelising
                  God bless you, sir!
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Replace "agile" and "distibuted VCS" with some of the trendy lefty activist keywords... (E.g. "inclusive" and "trans wimmin's officer")

Tulip - agile has been taken over by millenial snowflakes.
                    Oh yes indeed it has.

And Agile teams burn through huge chunks of money real quick too.....

Thing is Agile is great when you want to get something simple (a web form, a basic app) built quickly to test a theory and do proof of concept.

However once the proof of concept has been proved you need to move to a more structured development method to support enterprise level software needs.

We have both Agile and 'non agile' teams the Agile teams have built a great 'front end' which is really just a few web pages which catch data - however for the system we are using to work there needs to be huge integration with back office/investment systems.

It's bit like we are building a car, someone has put a great fibreglass body shell together and they are now saying they have done the hard bit and the easy bit is now to put in the suspension, electrics, engine, gearbox etc etc etc - into a fibreglass body which has not been designed to house the suspension, electric, gearbox etc etc

The millennials can only see shiny new and simply cannot understand words like complexity, legislation, VAT etc (I remember in one stand up how I was having to persuade them that although the VAT man was not in the team he did still have a user need)

Comment

Working...
                    X