PDA

View Full Version : Fortnite - suitable age to play

gnarledcontractor
26th November 2018, 13:09
What do people on the forum think a suitable age for the game Fortnite on the X-Box is?
I know it says PEGI 12+, however, girlfriends son is 8 and most of his school mates are allowed to play it.

At present, we've said a blanket no because of the age advice and the ability of adults to chat to kids within the game and (I don't really have time to play games), it seems
like it could be a problem for impressionable kids..

I'm not in favour of letting him on it at all but....

Do any of you people allow play supervised/unsupervised for your youngsters?
Any advice appreciated...

SimonMac
26th November 2018, 13:25
My 10 and 8 year olds plays it, but we don't have a headset and it's only ever on the main TV in the family room, it's still my responsibility to supervise them.

original PM
26th November 2018, 13:32
what SM said

My daughter is now 12 and she has been playing it for about a year.

Also on the main tv - do not allow tv's in bedrooms - not great for homework/sleeping etc etc

We do have a headset - and so far my daughter has never met anyone who was rude or offensive - never mind anything more sinister.

Having said all that - at 8 would they not be better with minecraft etc - both my daughters played that from the age of about 8 until - well Fortnite really!

northernladuk
26th November 2018, 13:43
It's going to be very difficult to stop anyone 8 and up playing it. It's so popular you are going to make the kids the odd ones out by saying no. If they can't do all the dances at that age it's going to lead to social exclusion. Very weird but it is what it is.

As long as you follow standard good parenting guidelines there is nothing wrong with the game itself. I've played it and never seen anything untoward. There are plenty of guidelines about how to safe, even from the police.

Shame you can't get them in to minecraft as already mentioned though. Much more immersive and interesting.

One thing maybe to watch out for though. My mates 11 year old is a bit of a late starter to it and keeps getting banned for getting annoyed and upset. It's been out that long everyone is really good so being young and new means your gonna get PWND..... a lot!

gnarledcontractor
26th November 2018, 13:48
It's going to be very difficult to stop anyone 8 and up playing it. It's so popular you are going to make the kids the odd ones out by saying no. If they can't do all the dances at that age it's going to lead to social exclusion. Very weird but it is what it is.

As long as you follow standard good parenting guidelines there is nothing wrong with the game itself. I've played it and never seen anything untoward. There are plenty of guidelines about how to safe, even from the police.

Shame you can't get them in to minecraft as already mentioned though. Much more immersive and interesting.

One thing maybe to watch out for though. My mates 11 year old is a bit of a late starter to it and keeps getting banned for getting annoyed and upset. It's been out that long everyone is really good so being young and new means your gonna get PWND..... a lot!

Ok - thanks.. That sounds reasonable.
He plays Minecraft to death, however, you raise an excellent point.. The last thing I want is for him to get picked on because he's not doing what his mates are allowed to do.

saptastic
26th November 2018, 14:09
What do people on the forum think a suitable age for the game Fortnite on the X-Box is?
I know it says PEGI 12+, however, girlfriends son is 8 and most of his school mates are allowed to play it.

At present, we've said a blanket no because of the age advice and the ability of adults to chat to kids within the game and (I don't really have time to play games), it seems
like it could be a problem for impressionable kids..

I'm not in favour of letting him on it at all but....

Do any of you people allow play supervised/unsupervised for your youngsters?
Any advice appreciated...

Definitely a lot of under 12's are playing it so hard to exclude if others are playing.
It does become unfortunately very addictive and get kids angry so would put boundaries on playing time.

original PM
26th November 2018, 14:10
Yeah if he has already played minecraft he may not be a complete noob on Fortnite.

My view is let him play but watch/observe him for a while - if possible when he is not 'aware'

and unless you observe anything untoward you should be golden.

northernladuk
26th November 2018, 14:18
I wish it was only Fortnite and Minecraft I had to worry about when mine were getting in to gaming. My two were pestering me for either Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto back in the day, neither of which are suitable for young uns.

TestMangler
26th November 2018, 18:26
I wish it was only Fortnite and Minecraft I had to worry about when mine were getting in to gaming. My two were pestering me for either Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto back in the day, neither of which are suitable for young uns.

You were trying to protect them from seeing car theft, guns, drugs and hookers, but you live in West Yorkshire ??

Were they banned from Bradford and Leeds town centres too then ??

:laugh

northernladuk
26th November 2018, 18:37
You were trying to protect them from seeing car theft, guns, drugs and hookers, but you live in West Yorkshire ??

Were they banned from Bradford and Leeds town centres too then ??

:laughCan't see owt down't pit.

TestMangler
26th November 2018, 18:41
Can't see owt down't pit.

:rollin: :yay:

Spoiler
26th November 2018, 19:57
My 10yo plays it, and I sometimes join in - they use a headset and plays/talks to friends by joining a "Party" / having "Epic friends".

Typically find "strangers" playing/talking if they play the Playground option. If you don't want them talking to strangers, maybe tell them not to use Playground ... if they can't stick to that then a ban would "learn 'em" (not a permaban though ;-)

I would not let my 8yo play it, more though to do with their character than age ... they're a nut job and would be trying to SMG/loot other kids in the playground the next day.

northernladuk
26th November 2018, 19:59
I would not let my 8yo play it, more though to do with their character than age ... they're a nut job and would be trying to SMG/loot other kids in the playground the next day.

I guess you won't be letting him play Grand Theft Auto anytime soon then?

Spoiler
26th November 2018, 20:04
I guess you won't be letting him play Grand Theft Auto anytime soon then?

For sure ... Minecraft is just about the limit.

northernladuk
26th November 2018, 20:09
For sure ... Minecraft is just about the limit.

Does he go round twatting sheep and chickens when he goes to the farm?

Spoiler
26th November 2018, 20:11
Does he go round twatting sheep and chickens when he goes to the farm?

The restraining order does not allow them to be within 100m of livestock...

northernladuk
26th November 2018, 20:17
The restraining order does not allow them to be within 100m of livestock...:rollin:

PerfectStorm
27th November 2018, 11:55
Can they not just play Mario like the nicer children do?

original PM
27th November 2018, 13:09
Can they not just play Mario like the nicer children do?

Jeez that's kind of 20 years out of date.

Who wants to jump around and collect coins when you can build things and shoot things?

SimonMac
27th November 2018, 13:24
Jeez that's kind of 20 years out of date.

Who wants to jump around and collect coins when you can build things and shoot things?

Super Mario Odyssey Has Sold More Than Half A Million Physical Copies In The UK - Nintendo Life (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/11/super_mario_odyssey_has_sold_more_than_half_a_mill ion_physical_copies_in_the_uk)

greenlake
27th November 2018, 17:40
Who wants to jump around and collect coins

I can think of at least one CUKker…. :rollin:

http://i.imgur.com/ATvxDLs.jpg