• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract terminated because I said I wouldn't renew...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract terminated because I said I wouldn't renew...

Error <form> display
    Last edited by Derben; 30 November 2018, 20:16.

If they want to terminate you as per the contract there is nothing you can do. There maybe nothing left to do in your role but they were happy to hold on to you until the new work starts. You've decided you don't want to stay so they don't need you.

Seems a pretty straight forward situation. You've done your work, client doesn't need you so you are done. Welcome to contracting.

And it's not a salary you won't get. Try an understand your relationshio with the client and how the terms differ.

Why do you think you can't apply for for other roles?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      If they want to terminate you as per the contract there is nothing you can do. There maybe nothing left to do in your role but they were happy to hold on to you until the new work starts. You've decided you don't want to stay so they don't need you.

Seems a pretty straight forward situation. You've done your work, client doesn't need you so you are done. Welcome to contracting.

And it's not a salary you won't get. Try an understand your relationshio with the client and how the terms differ.

Why do you think you can't apply for for other roles?
      Thanks JB. Sorry I was told I couldn't move on to another contract until end-date expired, not necessary apply.
      Last edited by Derben; 30 November 2018, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Derben View Post
        Thanks JB. Sorry I was told I couldn't move on to another contract until end-date expired, not necessary apply.
        But if that is only a week then what's to worry about?

Once they terminate you they can refuse to give you any work for that week and as you've no work, you've no timesheet and therefore no pay. Effective immediate termination.

Ask them if they are going to give you work for the notice. If they say no ask them to terminate you immediately and you become free to do what you want.

Comment

All well and good NLUK but it is a bit poor form from client side if you ask me.

After all, we all moan when contractors bail early. Surely this is the same?
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yes you can I would say. Contracts need to be reasonable, courts are critical regarding handcuff clauses and I would have thought suing a contractor you'd laid off for accepting a follow on contract would probably not get very far. You could go and see a lawyer just to confirm it.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you have a substitution clause, then just accept a new contract in the unlikely event they call for your services then send in a substitute, who you could probably easily recruit.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Error <form> display
                Can you add steps to reproduce in this thread? Ta

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  All well and good NLUK but it is a bit poor form from client side if you ask me.

After all, we all moan when contractors bail early. Surely this is the same?
                  It's a business decision based on their requirements.

You of all people are always harping on about doing best for number 1. Company is doing that so why are you complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    It's a business decision based on their requirements.

You of all people are always harping on about doing best for number 1. Company is doing that so why are you complaining.
                    No I agree. If contract says they can terminate wth notice then thats fine by me. But some of you lot criticise when the contractor does the same thing.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X