• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

naughty boy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

naughty boy

Project 5 weeks behind...
    Contract due to end in a week..

I'm called into the directors office who is disppointed that the system isn't finished and the things wasn't flagged. I gotta hold my hands up and blame changing user specs and the beauty of agile programming philosophy...

feel disappointed myself ...

Ended up with 5 weeks extension to finish the thing off... would have preferrred longer

Maybe if i turn it around i can still come out of this the hero?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Dont worry about coming out as a hero you get no money for that. Mess up the project a bit more and next 5 weeks are sorted

Comment

Didn't you have a solid change control process?? this is a classic mistake developers make, if a user ask for changes they just go a head and do it without documenting the impact on their time schedule and overall project delivery.

if you follow a proper change control process you'll have a documentation and evidence of the changes users asked for and their impact on each aspect of the project (inc the project plan/ delivery deadlines) well ahead of time!! convince your boss that this is needed, how can you guarantee that today by 4 pm the users will not ask for more drastic changes?? of course changes are always in your benefit cuz it means you have a business case to extend the deadlines leading to extending your contract !! Good practice PAYS

Comment

to be honest i have learnt a lot from this recent debacle.... cover your back...
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
          Project 5 weeks behind...
          Contract due to end in a week..

I'm called into the directors office who is disppointed that the system isn't finished and the things wasn't flagged. I gotta hold my hands up and blame changing user specs and the beauty of agile programming philosophy...

feel disappointed myself ...

Ended up with 5 weeks extension to finish the thing off... would have preferrred longer

Maybe if i turn it around i can still come out of this the hero?
          What happened to your weekly progress reports?
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
            What happened to your weekly progress reports?
            This is a good point.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

monthly reports...

My estimates were just rubbish too.. as I was given the BA role but didn't know the business which led to badly conceived guestimates.

Comment

easy mistakes to make!

i have found that because the project team often have other jobs to do as well the project work is often not seen as a main proirity - it gets looked at 2 days before the deadline and then it is realised that it will take 2 weeks to do this 'easy' bit of work

weekly reviews!!!!!!

Comment

"Maybe if i turn it around i can still come out of this the hero?"

Maybe if Superman had charged 600 quid a day he would of got Lois Lane!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

What happened to your tolerance ?

Comment

Working...
                    X