• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English Trifle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Trifle

Am attempting to make a home made trifle - from scratch, just started making the sponge (practiced sponge for the last couple of weeks) which fruits should I include? thinking of berries (going to visit Tescos in a mo ) do you think the trifle should be topped with custard or whipped cream or both?? I prefer cream - I also attempted to make a good egg custard but failed (don't like the flour based custard or the one from the cartons) !! I think will stick with cream??

Originally posted by SandyDown
    do you think the trifle should be topped with custard or whipped cream or both??
    Both it has to be both
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You need some swiss roll in slices, placed decoratively around a clear glass bowl, splash over some sherry, then some slices of peach, then a layer of homemade custard (make sure you let it cool first), then a layer of cream and some raspberries, strawberries are good too, but not english ones. Grate some chocolate on the top and you're done !

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
        You need some swiss roll in slices, placed decoratively around a clear glass bowl, splash over some sherry, then some slices of peach, then a layer of homemade custard (make sure you let it cool first), then a layer of cream and some raspberries, strawberries are good too, but not english ones. Grate some chocolate on the top and you're done !
        naw... needs cherries on the top
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Cherries are a bit hard to get at the moment, if you can be arsed use some john west tinned black cherries, don't forget to take the stones out first

Comment

Don’t forget the Sherry.

I made drunken chicken this week. Marinated the chicken in Vodka and lemon for 24 hours. Cooked slowly in Red wine an Vodka everyone got drunk just eating the main course.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I wanted to make the trifle from scratch at home with good ingredients - hence will be using home baked sponge and will use fresh fruits ---

Custard is my only problem (to set the fruit and cake together am going to use raspberry Jelly) and may be just stick to double cream...

I also wanted to make a home made tiramisu, but wonder if its too much hassle, I got the Italian mascarpone cheese and have the coco and coffee – may be I should give it a try!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                Don’t forget the Sherry.
                Just a little extra brandy works as well. Just a little mind.
                Drivel is my speciality

Comment

It is very easy, a square container is your friend. Lady finger biscuits make all the difference, as does some Grand Marnier

Comment

Lucy is your idea of a home made trifle (from scratch) is to go and buy a swiss role or sponge fingers?? Why aren't you getting on with the hair washing and packing anyway ...

Have a fantastic holiday in NZ - lucky you

Comment

Working...
                    X