• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corporation tax payment - reference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporation tax payment - reference?

I'm looking to make the CT payment as usual before the Jan deadline but can't tell if the payment reference needs to be different to last year.

Odd that HMRC didn't send me a letter for the corporation tax payment, even though the accounts have been submitted some time ago. And I can't find a reference on my HMRC business account anywhere - it doesn't show CT , only VAT.

Would it be the case that the reference is the same each year, so I could just re-use the same payment details as last time?

It's almost the same each year, IIRC, but not exactly the same.

See here:

Pay your Corporation Tax bill: Bank details for online or telephone banking, CHAPS, Bacs - GOV.UK

Notably:

Use your 17-character Corporation Tax payslip reference for the accounting period you’re paying.

You’ll find the payslip reference:
    • on any payslip that HMRC sent you
    • through your company’s HMRC online account - choose ‘View account’ then ‘Accounting period’

Your payment may be delayed if you use the wrong reference number.
    I can see the reference if I log into the HMRC portal. It's also possible to pay through the portal...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Would it be the case that the reference is the same each year, so I could just re-use the same payment details as last time?
      Is your payment reference 17 digits, the first 10 of which are your UTR? Should be something like 1234567890A00105A. If it was that last year, then good chance it'll just end in "...106A" this year.

Sounds like your HMRC portal account isn't enrolled for online CT services. You should be able to do that easily enough, then await a letter with activation code in the post to your registered office address. When you're enrolled you should easily be able to see the reference for each accounting year. Otherwise your accountant should be able to tell you it (if you have one).

Comment

Guys thanks - it's sorted now. It was same as last year except for a "4" changing to a "5".

Yes my online account wasn't registered for CT so I did this yesterday too. Really don't like HMRC's new website (compared to the one from a couple of years ago).

Comment

Working...
        X