• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employers/Public Liability Insurance a legal requirement for Ltd Companies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employers/Public Liability Insurance a legal requirement for Ltd Companies?

Just reading through the "Consultants Information Pack" provided by an well known agency, which suggests that "As a director of your limited company you will already have in place Employers Liability Insurance as a legal requirement and Public Liability..."

If this is the case, I've been trading illegaly for 10 months (oops). Any ideas whether the above is true?

Originally posted by chicane
    Just reading through the "Consultants Information Pack" provided by an well known agency, which suggests that "As a director of your limited company you will already have in place Employers Liability Insurance as a legal requirement and Public Liability..."

If this is the case, I've been trading illegaly for 10 months (oops). Any ideas whether the above is true?
    Yes and no. Yes if other people than one director works. No if it is you and you are the only worker. Agents know FA.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

if you are on a contract and because of something you do (obviously will depend on your role) but say you are a bit of a wire monkey, plug in the wrong thing and electrocute half of the staff at the company you are contracting they would look to claim off you Public Liability insurance - and you would be f*****d

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks.

The most dangerous thing I do is sitting at a laptop chugging out code. I guess at the end of the day it's a matter of assessing the risk to the people around you from your work-related actions.

I wonder how many contractors have actually taken out Public liability insurance on this basis though?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane

Up until very recently it was. But they changed it, so the agnecy is out of date now.

tim

Comment

Working...
          X