• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm to contracting - Advice needed for Java developer!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm to contracting - Advice needed for Java developer!

Hi, I am currently in a reasonably comfortable perm position, however I am a bit sick of the office politics and as I have been at my company for nearly 7 years, I want a change. I am thinking of going contracting to a) hopefully earn more money, b) have the ability to be more flexible on where and when I work and c) gain more experience by working for a variety of clients. The trouble I have at the moment is that most agencies won't touch me with a barge pole due to my notice period(4 weeks), so this leaves me in the position whereby if I go contracting I may have to leave my job with nothing immeadiately lined up - as I have a young family, this is a bit of a daunting prospect. We have enough money to sustain us for six months but if I didn't land a contract within that time we would be screwed (this is of cource worse case scenario). I currently work as a java j2ee developer with a broad range of knowledge and skills - if I am honest I would describe myself as and OK-to-good developer - not the best and certainly not the worst. When I look at ads on jobserve they seem to want everything under the sun - my impression however is that if they ask for everything, then they will settle for someone with 70-80% of what they asked for - is this a fair assessment?? I would appreciate any advice, particularly from J2EE developers, as to the level of knowledge/skill that is required in a particular field to be able to cut it as a contractor - I find this sort of thing extremely hard to gauge from job ads alone. Also any word on what the market is like at present (excluding xmas) would be appreciated - agencies always big it up, but then they would, wouldn't they.

Cheers

Bazza

Originally posted by Bazza
    Hi, I am currently in a reasonably comfortable perm position, however I am a bit sick of the office politics and as I have been at my company for nearly 7 years, I want a change. I am thinking of going contracting to a) hopefully earn more money, b) have the ability to be more flexible on where and when I work and c) gain more experience by working for a variety of clients. The trouble I have at the moment is that most agencies won't touch me with a barge pole due to my notice period(4 weeks), so this leaves me in the position whereby if I go contracting I may have to leave my job with nothing immeadiately lined up - as I have a young family, this is a bit of a daunting prospect. We have enough money to sustain us for six months but if I didn't land a contract within that time we would be screwed (this is of cource worse case scenario). I currently work as a java j2ee developer with a broad range of knowledge and skills - if I am honest I would describe myself as and OK-to-good developer - not the best and certainly not the worst. When I look at ads on jobserve they seem to want everything under the sun - my impression however is that if they ask for everything, then they will settle for someone with 70-80% of what they asked for - is this a fair assessment?? I would appreciate any advice, particularly from J2EE developers, as to the level of knowledge/skill that is required in a particular field to be able to cut it as a contractor - I find this sort of thing extremely hard to gauge from job ads alone. Also any word on what the market is like at present (excluding xmas) would be appreciated - agencies always big it up, but then they would, wouldn't they.

Cheers

Bazza
    Hi

the market is good but that always depends on your skills. I don't think 4 weeks is a long time to wait, there must be contracts that can wait this period. Alternatively, just resign in 2 weeks. In most cases they won't do anything to you, in some cases they can keep 2 weeks pay but what's the big deal? You are going to pay it back with 2 days work (that is unless you have special clauses in your permie contract). Best case is always to try to find an agreement with your manager. You would be surprised that 95% of the cases they are not happy to keep a disgruntled employee who is probably going to be in the office surfing the web 7 hours a day.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

notice periods never stopped me from walking away

My advice get a contract - if the agency asks you just say your official notice is 4 weeks, but you'll be able to negotiate early release, then do negotiate an early release from work, most bosses are OK about that.

My boss wasn't happy about releasing me or anyone else - so I told him I had some kind of family crisis and needed to leave ASAP, I handed over everything needed hand over and just went on my way !! so you don't have to burn bridges !

Comment

Tell the agent '2 weeks, negotiable'. Accrue 10 days holiday, and most companies will allow you to use that against your notice periods - I say most as I don't believe that it is enshirined in law that you have the absolute right to use it, but once you've told them you are leaving, they tend not to want you lingering around encouraging other staff to go and earn more money elsewhere...

You could check with your HR department but from past exeperience I would be a little wary about doing so, as HR have a tendency to be corrupt, and inform management of any 'interesting developments'.

I am currently permanent and the company has a policy that you have to take oustanding holiday on resignation - they wont pay you for it... I am carrying over 10 days to next year

An (effective) two week notice period sould be fine except for the most urgent contracts, and those tend to be of the 'oh my god the project is in serious doo doo' type.

Personally I'd look at making the jump around late February, March / April time if at at all... existing budgets have to be spent, or new ones are released, so projects tend to kick off.

And bear in mind just because you get a contract, you can be walked off-site at any time, perhaps with a weeks pay in lieu. Projects get cancelled, personalities clash, budgets get cut. That's one of the reasons companies want contractors - they can be disposed of without all the hassle of permies. Put as much of the money from your first contract into a some form of easily accessible low-risk investment vehicle to minimise tax (combination of ISA and something else), or simply a bank account and take the tax hit for zero risk.

Also bear in mind feckwit Gordon Browns every move is to force everyone into permiedom and stifle the 'flexible labour market' he mumbles about from time to time, in between his repeated pledges to send the money we earn overseas. And he targets IT with every budget or 'pre budget speech' where he introduces new taxes anyway.
        Last edited by mcquiggd; 22 December 2006, 20:04.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

"When I look at ads on jobserve they seem to want everything under the sun -"

Just do what 90% of the posters do on this board. Lie.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

if I am honest I would describe myself as and OK-to-good developer
            I thought you said you did Java?

Just go for it. If you can't cope with the risk, you probably aren't cut out to be a contractor. You said you have enough to survive for 6 months, which is probably more than most of us when we start. I had no money, and 3 credit cards that I reckoned I could survive on for 4 months at a push.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Many thanks for all replies - particularly those on how to handle the the notice period situation.

Bazza

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                Just go for it. If you can't cope with the risk, you probably aren't cut out to be a contractor. You said you have enough to survive for 6 months, which is probably more than most of us when we start. I had no money, and 3 credit cards that I reckoned I could survive on for 4 months at a push.
                I hear what you are saying, but as I am the sole breadwinner and have 2 kids, a wife and 3 mortgages, I think it would be a bit foolish to jump in feet first without weighing up the risks. It's not a case of not being able to cope with the risks, but knowing what the risks are - no point in wading in blind!

Comment

I hear what you are saying, but as I am the sole breadwinner and have 2 kids, a wife and 3 mortgages, I think it would be a bit foolish to jump in feet first without weighing up the risks. It's not a case of not being able to cope with the risks, but knowing what the risks are - no point in wading in blind!
                  All you can really do is look at the job ads and try to gauge how much work there's likely to be for you. And you could get a 6 month contract in no time, but then in 6 months time find things have changed and nobody wants you.

But that applies to permiedom too. How sure are you your current job is secure? Having an in-demand skill is the only real job security.

FWIW my last two contracts I had to wait 2 weeks after being offered and accepting the job for the client to be ready for me to start.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Advice: .Net

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X