• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Laptops

I know this has been discussed so many times already - but if anyone can recommends a place/website to purchase a laptop then please let me know, I need it to be delivered fairly soon (before new year if possible)

Thanks

Ebuyer

Comment

Thanks - they don't seem to have ThinkPads, and the specs are very low... I found a few links but wonder if someone can recommend a site they used!

Comment

http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_p...l_default.aspx

Mix and match, and I woulld probably go for a Core Duo Mobile.... with the most memory you can afford, and the best hard drive you can get, which is usually the slowest part of the system - the 7200 rpm drives may decrease battery life, but you really will see the difference. NCQ is supposed to help multi-tasking.

A medium-range processor with more memory and a fast hard drive with a decent cache will probably be better for most tasks than spending the same money on faster processor / lower spec other components. In general, most processors will sit there waiting for something to do while data is found for them to work on by other components.

Graphics requirements are dependent on usage... doubt you need fancy dual-GPU cards....
        Last edited by mcquiggd; 22 December 2006, 23:24.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Alienware are now owned by Dell. Worth comparing prices between them as AW are now a Dell premium range product.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

has anyoen tried insight .. this is the kind of thing I'd like - I've been using ThinkPads for a while now and I think they are really good

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpr..._id=LENYAT4301

Comment

www.dabs.com

I bought a service pack direct from HP so if anything wrong for the next 4 years I go direct to HP with a next day on site

I personally prefer HP laptops over anything else. They are nice and thin, feature rich without stuff that I am not going to use.

I just got a larger battery and now get about 7 hours on a full charge. Schweet.

Comment

Working...
              X