• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Contracting

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here to a lovely bunch.

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong board.

So I'm due to begin working as a contractor, in the private sector (banking) and would like some advice on how to go about accepting a contract and miximising my income.

I'm aware that IR35 is a thing (or will this even apply to me prior to April next year?).

I've always wanted to work as a contractor in the long term so I'm chuffed I'll soon be starting!

So due to personal circumstances I'd like to be able to take as much money from contract work in the shortest time possible, over the next 6 months to a year so I do have the intention to set up as a Ltd Co for the long term. However, for the short term I was wondering if its worth operating under a brolly or would it be best to just set up as a Ltd Co now? Me being affected by IR35 and dealing with the hassle now is my main concern. Can someone give me some clarity on this?

Clarity? OK...

Work under an umbrella and you are an employee paying full PAYE and NICs, so you net about 60% or so of your gross. So that doesn't meet your criteria.

Work through a Ltd Co and you will get to keep around 70-75% of your gross. Any more than that and you are doing something wrong and potentially illegal.

So lesson 1 - there is no magic money tree.

Does IR35 apply? No idea until you get a job and a contract. It's not a binary decision.

Lots of guides on the right of this page, and go to Homepage | IPSE and download their "Guide to Freelancing", so get reading. You have no idea how much you don't know

And finally, going contracting to earn shedloads of money is a very bad starting point.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      And finally, going contracting to earn shedloads of money is a very bad starting point.
      And on top of that expecting to draw it all out from the start is even worse. What happens if the gig gets cut short or ends after 3 months. You are going to be sat on the bench with no income for potentially months. You should be living on the breadline for the first period to get some money in the company for when it all goes south.

Your second gig can be the hardest to get as you've no income. No security of looking and waiting while being paid as a permie.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi both, thanks for your input on this.

The intention is for long term to set up a Ltd company and get some money into the business, to save for rainy days etc. I'm well aware of risks of losing the gig, but in my line of work there is an abundance of contracts which can be filled with my skill set so that element isn't too concerning.

Like I said, due to personal circumstances, I've a few more costs over the next few months than I anticipated so as a result I'll have to draw out more than I wanted to.

Just trying to understand for the short term what my best option is given my circumstances needing the extra cash flow.

Comment

Cash in a brown envelope stuffed through your letter box.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Oh boy I would love that!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Personally I use a PO Box rather than my home letter box. It's more discrete.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by nads123 View Post
                Hello all,

I'm aware that IR35 is a thing

Yes, it certainly is.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by nads123 View Post
                  Long time lurker, first time poster here to a lovely bunch.
                  Surely you have lurked enough to know more about IR35! It is kind of a big thing!

I would also suggest reading (or re-reading) the information down the right hand side of this site!)

You need to build up funds in the event of your gig being cut short, you want to spend the first year building 3-6 months buffer, dont worry about pension stuff until that is all sorted, you can move amounts into a SIPP later.

If your plan is long term contracting them get a LTD and an accountant sorted ASAP.

Back to the first point, IR35 is not straight forward or simple, get all contracts reviewed and make sure you understand what could cause you to be inside or outside, irrespective of the April 2020 deadline.

As NorthernLad stated, getting the first gig is easy as you have income, the 2nd one is harder, more so if you dont have that buffer!

WLB

Comment

Working...
                  X