• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

U.K. To USA.invoicing .

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.K. To USA.invoicing .

Hi can anyone advise me please .
    I have taken a contract with a company in Texas to project manage a installation in the Middle East , I have sent them my first invoice ,and they have now come back to me with a vender form ,asking for a taxation number ,does anybody know where I get this number from ,of what it is .
    Regards Gefester.

Not enough information but I suspect this might be to do with withholding tax. Are you invoicing through a Ltd company? You may need to fill out a W-8BEN.

Comment

Yes, they're looking for Taxpayer Identification Number from the IRS (in the form of an Employer Identification Number).

There should be no withholding requirement and, crucially, no reporting requirement if the income is non-U.S. source income (income associated with work you have physically performed outside the U.S.) of a non-U.S. person (YourCo, which is not a U.S. company). For that reason, you may be able to persuade them that they don't need a TIN or a completed W8-BEN-E (E = Enterprise, i.e. not personal). However, they may insist on both, and it's actually quite easy to get a TIN by calling the IRS. You may have to wait on the phone for 30 mins and it may take 15 mins to get the TIN as they take your details and complete the form for you. You'll need to be very clear that you're requesting a TIN/EIN as a foreign company with no U.S. presence (I assume that is correct) - it may take them a while to understand and put you through to the right person, but you should get a TIN at the end.

That being said, the IRS is impacted by the U.S. gov't shutdown at present, so you'll probably need to wait. Again, you should be able to avoid all this, but it just depends whether the procurement dept you're working with are willing to listen or they insist on following what they believe to be the correct procedure (i.e. computer says no).

See here w/r to an EIN, scroll down to the bottom (phone number provided at the very end):

Taxpayer Identification Numbers TIN | Internal Revenue Service
      Last edited by jamesbrown; 19 January 2019, 02:16.

Comment

Working...
      X