• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sponsored event - chance psychocandy might drop dead doing it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sponsored event - chance psychocandy might drop dead doing it

That should get the attention!

Chance to spend a few quit to ensure I follow through on doing a charity event in the hope that I drop dead doing it.

Trekfest in the Brecon Beacons in July.(TrekFest 2019 - Join Us For The Ultimate UK Charity Challenge!). 25km walk up Pen Y Fan.

Serious bit now. A few of us used to do this mountain walking thing competitively when we were younger (members of the Boys Brigade). BUT, that was 30+ years and 9 stone ago. Guy who used to run things sadly passed away before xmas of cancer (Myeloma) so we're getting the band back together to do this as a tribute.

Normally, 25km would be a stroll in the park but, at the moment, I can't even walk up the stairs too many times.

So it might kill me you never know... Anyone fancy sponsoring me?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Suggest you slowly get back into it, don't try to do too much too soon. Let the fitness return gradually.

At a client two permie colleagues passed away from heart attacks (not at the same time or even year) while trying to get fit for a charity run. Both in late thirties/early forties IIRC. Their families were naturally devastated at the sudden loss.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Suggest you slowly get back into it, don't try to do too much too soon. Let the fitness return gradually.

At a client two permie colleagues passed away from heart attacks (not at the same time or even year) while trying to get fit for a charity run. Both in late thirties/early forties IIRC. Their families were naturally devastated at the sudden loss.
      One of my mid forties permie colleagues did the same. Heart attack on a train following training session earlier in year.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        One of my mid forties permie colleagues did the same. Heart attack on a train following training session earlier in year.
        The ironic death of Jim Fixx should be a warning to those trying to get healthy after years of slothing around. Be careful out there folks.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Feck - cheer me up you lot!
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            BUT, that was 30+ years and 9 stone ago.
            A 29 stone person shouldn't be attempting this. Suggest you hit the gym instead and set realistic, achievable targets.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              So it might kill me you never know... Anyone fancy sponsoring me?
              Allow me to respond with a quote :

"Sorry OP but this wins the award for 'least chance of getting a penny out of me for this crap'"
              -psycocandy 2016

Unfortunately I share your sentiment so I'm afraid I must politely decline.

Comment

25KM ???????? In one day??
                Over hills?

On the flat that's a 6 hour walk without breaks. Over hills more like 8/9 hours. Add in lunch and a couple of breaks and you're more like 12 hours. There's only 15 hours of daylight.
                Open to everyone.
                Sounds like it's going to be a disaster.

And....... they want £60 from you to walk in free open spaces. **** that.

Wouldn't you be better just doing the same walk without hundreds of other doughnuts?
                I'm all up for hill walking for fun and adventure but this sounds like my idea of living hell...
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've been meaning to do the Fan Dance for a while - I gather this is similar?

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Over hills?

On the flat that's a 6 hour walk without breaks. Over hills more like 8/9 hours. Add in lunch and a couple of breaks and you're more like 12 hours. There's only 15 hours of daylight.
                  Open to everyone.
                  Get off it! Proper training - 4 - 6 hours should be doable if you're carrying weight.
                  Last edited by vwdan; 18 January 2019, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Over hills?

On the flat that's a 6 hour walk without breaks. Over hills more like 8/9 hours. Add in lunch and a couple of pints and you're more like 12 hours. There's only 15 hours of daylight.
                    Open to everyone.

And....... they want £60 from you to walk in free open spaces. **** that.

Wouldn't you be better just doing the same walk without hundreds of other doughnuts?
                    I'm all up for hill walking for fun and adventure but this sounds like my idea of living hell...
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X