• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Homosexuality "immoral".

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homosexuality "immoral".

A Christian couple from Lancashire have been awarded £10,000 in an out-of-court settlement after they were questioned by police about their moral beliefs.

Helen and Joe Roberts, from Fleetwood, complained about taxpayers' money being used for leaflets about gay rights and called homosexuality "immoral".
    The institute said during her call to the council, Mrs Roberts expressed her religious belief that "homosexual practice is morally wrong".

The couple were shocked to receive a subsequent visit from two police officers who questioned them in their home.

Mr Roberts told the BBC he had told Wyre Borough Council he was willing to pay for Christian leaflets himself "but was told a definite no".

"Then it snowballed from there and that's why we had to take them to court," he said.

Mr Roberts added: "Morality is the foundation of democracy and when you do away with morality, your democracy goes down the Swannee and you end up with immorality and then anarchy."

"And all I was doing was just [to] challenge our council that all we wanted was the same rights as the gays and lesbians have."
    ...now where do I get my £10,000 from?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

So they call homos "immoral" but then get upset and sue under human rights for failure to respect freedom of expression.

****ers.

Comment

They reminded me of the 'The Dirty Bastards' couple on the Catherine Tate show. I kept expecting them to mention Sh1t Ache mushrooms.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        So they call homos "immoral" but then get upset and sue under human rights for failure to respect freedom of expression.
        And your point is?

Should they not be allowed to say such things?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          And your point is?

Should they not be allowed to say such things?
          My point is they go round saying that homos are bad bad people then get upset when someone tells them that no we can't put your religous lies next to their posters. Pot, kettle and black coems to mind. Are the police not allowed to ask them questions as religons somehow are above the law.

IMHO Religion = outlawing

Edit:

Mr and Mrs Roberts had sued the police and council, claiming the incident last December had breached their rights to freedom of expression and freedom of religion.
          So they can go round oppressing other peoples rights to expression by calling it wrong but do it to them and all holy hell breaks loose.
          Last edited by Sockpuppet; 24 December 2006, 21:15.

Comment

What bollocks.
            Mr Roberts told the BBC he had told Wyre Borough Council he was willing to pay for Christian leaflets himself "but was told a definite no".

"Then it snowballed from there and that's why we had to take them to court," he said.

"And all I was doing was just [to] challenge our council that all we wanted was the same rights as the gays and lesbians have."
            Do the council send the police around to everyone who wants to put posters up?

PC nonsense.

Comment

Only when they start breaking the law .... i.e. being homophobic.

If I went to a church and stated to piss on the baby jesus in the nativity scene I'd probably get arrested... kind of the same thing.

Comment

They broke no laws.

Comment

I thought being homophobic was against the law.

In any case you dont have to break the law to get a visit from the police you have to be suspected of breaking the law. Then the police report and the CPS decide if you are likley to have broken the law, then the courts decide if you have.

So just becuase you didnt break the law doesnt mean the cops cant talk to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                    I thought being homophobic was against the law.
                    Where on earth did you get the idea that expressing moral objection to homosexuality is against the law?

Comment

Working...
                    X