• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited Company on a Working Holiday Visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited Company on a Working Holiday Visa

Hi All,

I've spent many an hour going through the sections and posts on this forum and haven't found the answer I'm looking for so I'll post up the Q.

I'm an Aussie that has just recently arrived in London on a Working Holiday Visa. I may be receiving a IT contract role in the very near term and have started to research into the different options: umbrella/limited companies etc.

What niggles me is the "do not intend to set yourself up in or run a business" restriction on the Working Holiday Visa.

Surely, a lot of people on WH Visa take contract roles.. does this mean they are restricted from limited companies and -have- to go via umbrellas?

Thanks

Jonathan

A quick call to the Home Office would answer your question. But the key word here could be "intend"....which may not mean "cannot".

If starting your own business isn't a goer then it would seem a Composite or Umbrella structure might be your only option.

Have you considered applying for the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa? It takes a bit (well actually a lot) more work to get and is more expensive but pays for itself in the end.
    Last edited by Lowery; 24 December 2006, 05:01.

Comment

I dunno, they come over here, take our jobs, drink our beer, leer at our women. Bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by fooey
        What niggles me is the "do not intend to set yourself up in or run a business" restriction on the Working Holiday Visa.
        Why does it niggle you. If the restriction wasn't there you probably wouldn't have got the Vias and you still be in Oz.

HMG do not expect Visa applicants to take the sort of job that you have been offered and if you TTP they will stop issuing the Visas, not change the rules to make it easier for you.

tim

Comment

Why is it so difficult for visitors to obey our laws and customs?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Thanks Lowery for the helpful reply.

I was initially going to apply for the HSMP back in AU, but figured it was less risk and potentially cheaper by applying for it over here once I've tested the waters and choose to stay longer.

I did intend on travelling the UK and getting temporary work to pay for it so I did get the WH Visa for its intended purpose.

From my simple calculations I was eligible (prior to the rule changes and also subsequent to the changes) so it shouldn't be a problem getting it here.

I intend on converting but now the rule changes take the last 12mths pay - and I've been off work for 3+ mths due to travelling etc so I'll have to wait till I've clocked in a bit of time working on the WH.

Thanks, will make some queries after these few days of xmas closure to see my options.

Comment

This board is full of hypocrites...

In one hand you all ask for how to get around the tax/etc laws here and then on the other hand you go why can't you follow our laws...

I thank those that actually provide the helpful information, it would be so much easier for all if you don't have anything constructive to say, then save your time and the time of others from reading useless posts.

Comment

The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by fooey
                  This board is full of hypocrites...

In one hand you all ask for how to get around the tax/etc laws here and then on the other hand you go why can't you follow our laws...

I thank those that actually provide the helpful information, it would be so much easier for all if you don't have anything constructive to say, then save your time and the time of others from reading useless posts.

I think you'll find that the tax questions are more a case of "am I ok to do this?" or "What is the best way to do this?" rather than "how can I cheat the system?". Certainly no-one here is advocating tax evasion.

There is no consensus here that we should all be trying to evade our legal obligations with regard to taxation, that doesn't mean we wont take all the legal routes to avoid paying excessive amount of tax where we can.

There is a fine line between avoidance and evasion, and if you want to work as a contractor in the UK you would do well to learn where it is. Trying to find ways of circumventing immigration law is not a good way to start doing it.

If you sign up with an umbrella or MSC now you have until April next year to make the most of the current system. After that, suck it up, pay your tax and NI as required and look at contracting as a flexible way to work while you travel, that doesn't tie you down to a particular employer or location for any great length of time. You are supposed to be on a working holiday after all.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yep.

a Working Holiday Visa implies 'Temporary' habitation.

a Ltd company implies 'Permanent' habitation.

You can't have both ways....

HTH
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X