• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wait for background checks to come through before handing in notice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait for background checks to come through before handing in notice?

Hey Folks,

Moving from perm to contracting as a 'cloud' engineer.

Just on the final stage of a new contracting opportunity for a bank, they understand I have a 4 week notice period and are 'happy to wait for the right person'.

The only thing is I know they carry out background checks. When I was younger (10years+) I committed an offence that caused me to get community service. Now I have done a 'basic background' check and it doesn't show, although I am not sure if they do more indepth checks.

My question is - should I wait until I pass the background check prior to handing in my notice? Is this a common thing to do?

Thanks!

IMO you can't sit there waiting to find a gig that will wait 4 weeks. They are very few and far between and it's not uncommon even if you find one that will wait it all evaporates before you start.

Accept this one, stick your notice in and keep applying.

The very worst that will happen will be that this gig doesn't turn up and your notice period ends. At least then you are immediately available for the next gig.

Nothing is gonna happen if you are hoping for the easiest possible route in to contracting. You won't have this level of comfort on your second gig.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Does it show on disclosure Scotland ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Never ever hand in your notice until background checks complete. Especially true for finance companies.

Two years ago it took about 8 weeks for on-boarding checks to complete. Absolute joke.

Comment

It isn't showing on a basic disclosure check that I done myself, but I am unsure if banks do just the 'basic' one or 'standard' via disclosure Scotland.

They have now extended a really attractive offer, but this is the only thing that is worrying me. If the worst comes to shove there are plenty perm jobs to fall back on.

Comment

Originally posted by peterpattersonn View Post
            It isn't showing on a basic disclosure check that I done myself, but I am unsure if banks do just the 'basic' one or 'standard' via disclosure Scotland.

They have now extended a really attractive offer, but this is the only thing that is worrying me. If the worst comes to shove there are plenty perm jobs to fall back on.
            The banks do a disclosure Scotland (normally get you to do it yourself and pay for) then give them the certificate

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              The banks do a disclosure Scotland (normally get you to do it yourself and pay for) then give them the certificate

So basic disclosure it would be

Comment

Originally posted by peterpattersonn View Post
                So basic disclosure it would be
                Yes. Every financial service company I worked with only ever did a basic disclosure.

That said, the Supreme Court just ruled today that if you have a minor 'caution' from years ago, the government is not right to insist these should still be disclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                  Yes. Every financial service company I worked with only ever did a basic disclosure.

That said, the Supreme Court just ruled today that if you have a minor 'caution' from years ago, the government is not right to insist these should still be disclosed.
                  Wasn't that in the context of caution being gained as a juvenile?

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post

NAG did Enhanced disclosure the last time I worked there.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X