• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Everything I hate about irresponsible journalism.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything I hate about irresponsible journalism.

More than 2.6m Brits are Holocaust deniers, poll finds | The Independent

2.6 million

If you scale up the results of a poll if 2006 people.

[emoji849]

Extrapolating from a poll is fine but it is a poor article. The Graun does it better:

The scale of ignorance about the Holocaust has shocked experts. Olivia Marks-Woldman, of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, said: “I must stress that I don’t think [the poll respondents] are active Holocaust deniers – people who deliberately propagate and disseminate vile distortions. But their ignorance means they are susceptible to myths and distortions.”

Comment

Why should people be more informed about the holocaust than any other historical event?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Why should people be more informed about the holocaust than any other historical event?
        Because there are contemporary political movements that would repeat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Because there are contemporary political movements that would repeat it
          Rather doubt anything on that scale would be allowed to happen again, in the developed/Western world anyway. Better to focus on current problems. Just don't see knowing exact figures is really relevant. Most don't see Jewish as different or a problem anyway . When some celeb says they are Jewish, most would have had no idea. Just seemed like any normal Brits.

A few statistics on where UK anti semitism is coming from:

Britain has an anti-Semitism problem. Here are the numbers that prove it | Coffee House
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Not sure all holocaust deniers are necessarily neo-Nazis. Some seize on any daft conspiracy theory going.
            bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Not sure all holocaust deniers are necessarily neo-Nazis. Some seize on any daft conspiracy theory going.
              I agree. But Holocaust denial is an idea spread by neo Nazis to further their own agendas.

Comment

Because there are contemporary political movements that would repeat it.
                Can you name one?

Comment

I agree. But Holocaust denial is an idea spread by neo Nazis to further their own agendas.
                  Zuckerberg has right idea with holocaust denial groups, gives them open space and a public forum.

Comment

Extrapolating from a poll is fine but it is a poor article. The Graun does it better:
                    You seem to think that the substance of the study is less important than the way the information is delivered.

Comment

Working...
                    X