• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ender’s Game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ender’s Game

A bunch of teenagers would have handled Brexit better

You'll not get any argument from me.

But then that is what politicians do isn't it - it's not about the populous its about them.

Good thing we voted to not have to pay for that big EU political circus which moves town every 4 weeks costing 150 million pounds.

Look starving people needing food

Look Money

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Good thing we voted to not have to pay for that big EU political circus which moves town every 4 weeks costing 150 million pounds.
      Changed your tune from £350 million every week?

Look, a bus!
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Look starving people needing food

Good choice of photo. Did you read the article that the photo came from, to give context?

http://www.privacysurgeon.org/blog/i...cy-and-rights/
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Good choice of photo. Did you read the article that the photo came from, to give context?

http://www.privacysurgeon.org/blog/i...cy-and-rights/
          The point I was making was that the EU spunks 150 million moving parliament around to appease politicians whilst at the same time many people are starving and that 150 million could be put to better use.

Or do you disagree and do you think it is a good use of money?

Comment

And the UK spends £350M of taxpayers money refurbishing Buckingham Palace. And will spend about £3 Billion restoring Westminster.

Anyway, it's a typical false dichotomy. It's not feed the poor, or move parliament. The EU is probably rich enough to do both. In fact, they already spend £83 Billion on foreign aid, and from 2021, plan to increase that to £108 Billion. £150M is less than 0.5% of the total aid spend.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ok - but really do you not think if the EU are to be taken seriously they need to stop seeing the populace as a money pit and actually start doing something to help them?

You cannot tell me that moving the seat of parliament is anything other than a sop to politicians vanity.

Comment

Ok - but really do you not think if the EU are to be taken seriously they need to stop seeing the populace as a money pit and actually start doing something to help them?

You cannot tell me that moving the seat of parliament is anything other than a sop to politicians vanity.
                It's a bit more than just a sop, there are historical and political reasons for it. I'm not saying all of those reasons are sensible, but there are reasons.

You're implying that it costs that much every 4 weeks, which is wrong.

The estimated saving if there was only one base is between EUR103 - 109m per year.

Why does Parliament move between Brussels and Strasbourg? | News | European Parliament

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  It's a bit more than just a sop, there are historical and political reasons for it. I'm not saying all of those reasons are sensible, but there are reasons.

You're implying that it costs that much every 4 weeks, which is wrong.

The estimated saving if there was only one base is between EUR103 - 109m per year.

Why does Parliament move between Brussels and Strasbourg? | News | European Parliament
                  And that is really the point isn't it....

Regardless of whether it is the EU or not do you not think in the 21st century we need to stop spending money to support people's ego's?

I appreciate that people will draw parallels with the Monarchy but I see them as more a tourist attraction and it also gives us someone other than politicians to represent us on the world stage - I mean seriously would you trust Corbyn with anything more important than the tv remote?

Comment

And that is really the point isn't it....

Regardless of whether it is the EU or not do you not think in the 21st century we need to stop spending money to support people's ego's?

I appreciate that people will draw parallels with the Monarchy but I see them as more a tourist attraction and it also gives us someone other than politicians to represent us on the world stage - I mean seriously would you trust Corbyn with anything more important than the tv remote?
                    Try and draw parallels with our own Parliament. There's no good reason for them to be housed in Westminster Palace, and indeed no good reason for them to be based in London. If they were moved to a 1970's concrete building in Sheffield then parliament would be cheaper, and also geographically centred to provide more equal representation to the UK.

But, we put up with it to support their egos.

Comment

Working...
                    X