• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Democracy is a joke

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Democracy is a joke

One MP, like this scumbag, can block a bill just by shouting "object".

Christopher Chope Blocks FGM Bill By Shouting 'Object' In The House Of Commons | HuffPost UK

They can also block bills by filibustering, i.e. rambling on until a bill runs put of time.

Ludicrous
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Both American and British "democracies" are a joke right now

And the issue isn't filibustering or trying to bring something on Friday knowing full well old chap would object to it (because the only thing in his sad life to do as a point of principle) - the issue is "first past the post" system that results in olygopoly.

Comment

Chope always objects to PMBs "on principle" (but, yes, he is a numpty because he's oblivious to context or support, one way or the other).

Filibustering is as ancient as democracy itself (probably).

Comment

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2562820

On 12 March 2010, he blocked a bill to protect poor countries from vulture funds, despite his party's support for the bill

In December 2013, Chope objected to the second reading of the Alan Turing (Statutory Pardon) Bill in the House of Commons. Because of this, the Government decided to act under the royal prerogative of mercy. On 24 December 2013, Queen Elizabeth II granted Turing a free pardon

In November 2014, Chope blocked a bill that would have banned the use of wild animals in circus performances,

In the same month, Chope, alongside Philip Davies, the Conservative MP for Shipley, filibustered a bill intended to make revenge evictions an offence

In October 2015, Chope, Davies and Conservative MP David Nuttall filibustered a private member's bill that would have placed restrictions on hospital parking charges for carers

On the same day as the upskirting bill, Chope and Davies forced a delay to the final debate on a bill which would have improved the oversight of the use of force in mental health units. Chope also blocked a bill which would have given extra legal protection to police dogs and horses

On 16 July 2018, Chope blocked a motion calling for the House of Commons chamber to be used for a Women MPs of the World Conference on a day in November when MPs were not sitting

In June 2013, Chope was one of four MPs who camped outside Parliament in a move to facilitate parliamentary debate on an "Alternative Queen’s Speech" – an attempt to show what a future Conservative government might deliver. 42 policies were listed including reintroduction of the death penalty and conscription, the privatisation of the BBC, banning the burka in public places, holding a referendum on same sex marriage and preparing to leave the European Union

In July 2017, Chope and Peter Bone, the Conservative MP for Wellingborough, tabled 73 bills between them, of which 47 were placed by Chope. In order to be at the front of the queue to table the bills, the pair had camped in the Palace of Westminster for three days.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Both American and British "democracies" are a joke right now

And the issue isn't filibustering or trying to bring something on Friday knowing full well old chap would object to it (because the only thing in his sad life to do as a point of principle) - the issue is "first past the post" system that results in olygopoly.
          say what??
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            One MP, like this scumbag, can block a bill just by shouting "object".

Christopher Chope Blocks FGM Bill By Shouting 'Object' In The House Of Commons | HuffPost UK

They can also block bills by filibustering, i.e. rambling on until a bill runs put of time.

Ludicrous
            He is a cock womble.

Comment

the issue is "first past the post" system that results in olygopoly
              Yeh, a totally proportional representation system, not the fudge the Lib Dems proposed, would be good. Of course not all constituents could have an MP who represented their own views locally but think that's a lesser issue.

An elected House of Lords too (but called something else) plus ditch the monarchy.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Yeh, a totally proportional representation system, not the fudge the Lib Dems proposed, would be good. Of course not all constituents could have an MP who represented their own views locally but think that's a lesser issue.

An elected House of Lords too (but called something else) plus ditch the monarchy.
                This is a bit of a dilemma. The proportional system is more representative but it gives parties more control over candidates in terms of party lists. And you end up with more professional politicians who have never done a real job (whatever that is: business, engineer, healthcare, teacher, postie).

I would like to see the current electoral system retained but with a stipulation that a candidate must have lived in a constituency for four years before standing as a candidate. It would be much harder to parachute in candidates.

Comment

Question really is, is democracy failing or is it being abused?

Never for a moment do I understand why elected officials remain in power when they fail to act on the promises they made. Cameron increased the time between GEs to 5 years did he no? Should have been decreased if anything. And that's not to mention the lying during election campaigns. Elected officials are in contempt of the electorate if you ask me. I wonder if any of them realise the dangers of the path they're taking. Wars have begun this way.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Question really is, is democracy failing or is it being abused?

Never for a moment do I understand why elected officials remain in power when they fail to act on the promises they made. Cameron increased the time between GEs to 5 years did he no? Should have been decreased if anything. And that's not to mention the lying during election campaigns. Elected officials are in contempt of the electorate if you ask me. I wonder if any of them realise the dangers of the path they're taking. Wars have begun this way.
                    No he didn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X