• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My 'work at home' deal fell through

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 'work at home' deal fell through

So, had a tech interview for the next gig and that's in the bag now the decision rests with HR who want to do a 20 minute phone interview covering 'business competency'. WTF is that? I could blow this gig...
    Last edited by Cliphead; 24 December 2006, 23:18.
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead
    So, had a tech interview for the next gig and that's in the bag now the decsion rests with HR who want to do a 20 minute phone interview covering 'business competency'. WTF is that? I could blow this gig...
    Basically HR just trying to get involved where they shouldnt. Just sound nice and answer the questions as they ask them.

I once had an HR person sit in on an interview I was doing for a design engineer. WTF does a HR person know about designing warehouses. They are there to advise me not tell me who the best person is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      Basically HR just trying to get involved where they shouldnt. Just sound nice and answer the questions as they ask them.

I once had an HR person sit in on an interview I was doing for a design engineer. WTF does a HR person know about designing warehouses. They are there to advise me not tell me who the best person is.
      HR are the bane of my life. The latest gig finished last week after 6 months and I still hadn't finished my induction. It took 2 months to get a vending card (no problem there, free lunches during that time).

Why HR feel the need to get involved in the hiring of a contractor feck knows. I thought Finance would be more appropriate.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

HR are the bane of my life. The latest gig finished last week after 6 months and I still hadn't finished my induction .
        Why are you going to a client's induction? Surely that's for permies?

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone
          Why are you going to a client's induction? Surely that's for permies?
          Exactly! HR can't tell the difference it seems.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Many places I go to I have to go through the induction, its for legal health & safety and security stuff.... e.g. they have to formally let you know the company's policies regarding data transfer, internet access, disaster plans etc... some just send you a few pages to read, but the large companies usually insist on a few hours formal induction session. Then you need to sign that you have attended the session and understood all the policies etc !! all legal stuff

Comment

Exactly! HR can't tell the difference it seems.
              Where do you go when the fire alarm sounds?

Are there any restricted areas?

What is the procedure you must follow when not attending site due to illness/accident?

What are the specific health and safety issues regarding the site?

Are you aware of the penalties regarding sexual harassment at work?

What is the organisations use/misuse of the internet policy? Have you signed it?

The list goes on. HR are merely protecting their collueages by ascertaining that you've received all information and training deemed necessary for you to fulfill your duties without causing problems for their chaps.

Now, of course you people knew this anyway, didn't you?

Churchill - In "Sandy got there first" mode!

Comment

I always tell them their internal policies are nothing to do with me but if they have specific H&S requirements to post them to me. One guy on the current gig went to the induction and got a nice certificate along with the permies to say he'd attended.

Comment

Yep, I have done similar before. A few hours on day one covering H&S, security etc., but after completing a 6 month contract and still not finished the induction is tearing the arse out of it, not to mention the 'exit' interview, that was a first too.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                  X