• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

office refurb costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

office refurb costs

Hi,

I work from home most days in my home office, and have been contracting for 9 years. I have never invested in my home office to date.
    This year I have decided to invest in some bespoke storage, new carpets, light fittings, re-painting work with some help of an interior designer as it's such a large space (10m by 8m) zoning into different areas which include a seating area for prospective new clients.

Would you know whether the above costs are a) expensable b) tax deductible (VAT and corp)

Thanks in advance

Really? You don’t know how to search? This has been done to death on these forums.

In short. No. £4 a week.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Really? You don’t know how to search? This has been done to death on these forums.

In short. No. £4 a week.
      The more observant would have noticed I'm very new here, and typing in 'office costs' yields a lot of irrelevant results. It would have been much more constructive if you kindly pointed me to the appropriate links.

Spending best part of two decades in regulatory compliance, I will be very surprised if the application of a complex situation to equally complex texts are binary, but happy to be proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 94bb View Post
        The more observant would have noticed I'm very new here, and typing in 'office costs' yields a lot of irrelevant results. It would have been much more constructive if you kindly pointed me to the appropriate links.

Spending best part of two decades in regulatory compliance, I will be very surprised if the application of a complex situation to equally complex texts are binary, but happy to be proven wrong.
        Look 8 threads down on this forum.

And yes you can make it complex if you desire.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Oh. And type “home office expense claim” yields better results than ‘office costs’.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hi,

I work from home most days in my home office, and have been contracting for 9 years. I have never invested in my home office to date.
            This year I have decided to invest in some bespoke storage, new carpets, light fittings, re-painting work with some help of an interior designer as it's such a large space (10m by 8m) zoning into different areas which include a seating area for prospective new clients.

Would you know whether the above costs are a) expensable b) tax deductible (VAT and corp)

Thanks in advance

No, and no.
            Using a room in your house as an office, you can claim £4 a week.
            Doing home improvements cannot be claimed on expenses or tax deductible.

Having that big a space, you'd have room to put in sofa beds and maybe a pool table, it would be a great place for friends to stay if you're having a party, and all the new bespoke storage would be very useful for storing personal items. And of course, none of it would affect your house value.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I think at a push you could get away with the storage furniture if it’s primarily used as your home office and you work mainly from home.

My accountant was quite happy with me putting through most of the fit out costs for my garden office which is used 90% for business (I work from home almost exclusively).

I paid for the building costs personally. I didn’t claim for any of the building or decoration costs or for the electrics connection. Stuff I did put through the business directly included: hardwired Ethernet connection to the building (the cables and the socket for the office end), a business fibre connection (in the company name), desk and storage furniture, a small sofa, plant and small coffee machine and a few small bits and pieces.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 3 February 2019, 14:27.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks in advance
                Given it costs about 13 quid to set up a limited company and you are talking about saving a few grand in tax on a refit of your "personal home" (even if it is used by the business) - surely everyone who wanted to redecorate would just incorporate for a few months if it was really that easy...

Comment

Ask your accountant. These lot are pure guessers.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Ask your accountant. These lot are pure guessers.
                    They all appear to have 'guessed' the same answer though
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X