• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming off FRS LCT VAT after Year 1?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming off FRS LCT VAT after Year 1?

I am coming to the end of my first year of contracting, best thing I ever did (should have jumped earlier).

So MyCo is signed up for VAT under Flat Rate Scheme Limited Cost Trader rate with the discount of 1% for year 1 - 15.5% instead of 16.5%

I have not input tax and only provide services charged at VAT standard rate.

So after the year 1 discount goes (MyCo retains approx £300 per qtr in the discounted rate), the retain amount will be approx £40 per qtr.

MyCo is over £85K turnover figure so must be registered for VAT.

Does MyCo suck it up on FRS 16.5% LCT or have others come off the FRS and moved to standard/cash accounting but as MyCo has no input vat then it will be no better off?

Then again £40 per qtr for collecting VAT for HMRC is not such a bad thing?

What have others done?

Thanks

Are you sure you have no input VAT?

Accountancy fees? Mobile phone contract? Broadband? You never buy anything through the business?

If so, then staying on 16.5% is better than nothing, but it is definitely work double checking the numbers

Comment

VAT

Almost all of our guys have gone onto traditional VAT as it tends to be more beneficial. Using Freeagent, we tend to run a comparison to see which would be more beneficial and just about in every case, traditional VAT calculations tend to be better. With the software in place to do the calculations, doesn't really make much difference in terms of time in any case.

Comment

I went traditional VAT after year 1. I will never use FRS again.

Comment

ok I do have 1 input tax invoice per month, FreeAgent. Buy some stationery once a quarter from Tesco but there is no vat on that (£30). Don't reclaim broadband usage (from house broadband) as use the standard £18.00 per month "use of home allowance" reclaim.

Will check with my FA accountant what she recommends, but was interested to know what seasoned contractors have done - was the purpose of the post. I will be led by my accountant - though the first one I had (local 1 man band) was crap and ditched them to FA. Hindsight.......

Comment

Isn't your accountant looking at your books and advising the best option for you?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes it is something I will pick up with my Gorilla accountant and see what she advises. Just wondered what others have done in a similar situation. Plus I took some advise from my previous "crap 1 man band accountant" before ditching them for Gorilla so this forum is a good sounding board.

Comment

Originally posted by gwynfryn View Post
                Yes it is something I will pick up with my Gorilla accountant and see what she advises. Just wondered what others have done in a similar situation. Plus I took some advise from my previous "crap 1 man band accountant" before ditching them for Gorilla so this forum is a good sounding board.
                If you're with Gorilla you will earn more from claiming their VAT back (~£50 per quarter) than the £40 per quarter from 16.5% FRS you mentioned in OP - plus any other VAT business expenditure

Comment

thanks pr1 you are quite correct.

Comment

I've not got round to coming off it yet - expenses are low, so just haven't got round to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X