• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Fatigue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Fatigue

How do people who have had 2-3 years+ on a single contract deal with client fatigue?

Previously my longest contract had been about a year and a half and this always felt a good time to move on, I am approaching two years with my current client with an extension on the table to take me even further, and although I enjoy the contract terms (location is very close to home so no expenses and it's a good rate) it's harder and harder to motivate myself to keep going.

The stuff as a contractor you usually laugh off with by saying "that's a permie problem" is less appealing when you keep seeing one problem roll into another and you've been there long enough to although not get involved in the local politics, you can see the out comes and on coming cluster**** that they will cause.

I will keep quite and carry on billing, but it's getting really hard not to feel fed up and it's only the money (and associated benefits for an easier personal life) that keeps you here.
    Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
    How do people who have had 2-3 years+ on a single contract deal with client fatigue?

Previously my longest contract had been about a year and a half and this always felt a good time to move on, I am approaching two years with my current client with an extension on the table to take me even further, and although I enjoy the contract terms (location is very close to home so no expenses and it's a good rate) it's harder and harder to motivate myself to keep going.

The stuff as a contractor you usually laugh off with by saying "that's a permie problem" is less appealing when you keep seeing one problem roll into another and you've been there long enough to although not get involved in the local politics, you can see the out comes and on coming cluster**** that they will cause.

I will keep quite and carry on billing, but it's getting really hard not to feel fed up and it's only the money (and associated benefits for an easier personal life) that keeps you here.
    Only ever done a 2year gig once and it was time to move on. Time for a change. Most of the rest been between 3 and 18 months with a few side contracts of just one or two weeks consultancy. I like the variation, which is one of the reasons I am a contractor. I don't think I could work on a multi 100s of million pound contract over 10 to 15 years where there is no urgency to get anything done or agreed because there is always more time and plenty more money in the bottomless money bucket. (HS2).

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
      . when you keep seeing one problem roll into another and you've been there long enough to although not get involved in the local politics, you can see the out comes and on coming cluster**** that they will cause.
      If you have a genuine insight into this, then perhaps you could suggest to your client that you take on some part of a management role, to give you power to prevent these problems?

Comment

I've worked at the same client since 2005. 2014 switched to 60%, last year to 50%. Having other clients keeps the ennui at bay.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
          Only ever done a 2year gig once and it was time to move on. Time for a change.
          More or less this. Did 3 and a bit years once and it turned from a great gig in to a bit of a mare. Struggling to put the effort in, the long commute became a bug bear and getting harder and harder to keep my IR35 status outside so left. Looking back I should have left around the 2 year mark. I was miserable for most of the time after that.

Now I know better I'd not do it again. I took up contracting to be in charge of my own destiny and work so why not use it? Quite happy to refuse an extension if the gig isn't motivating me any more. You can't be afraid of going out and getting the next gig because it's going to happen eventually, and many times in your career so don't sit there being miserable while putting the inevitable off.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I've worked at the same client since 2005. 2014 switched to 60%, last year to 50%. Having other clients keeps the ennui at bay.
            They must really know what client fatigue looks like.

Comment

They outsourced all their developers. And then realised that not only can you not make a baby in 1 month with 9 women, vetran and original PM can't build a quantum computer, no matter how many times you clone them.

At least, that's there excuse. I reckon they just need someone to turn out the lights when it's all over.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They outsourced all their developers. And then realised that not only can you not make a baby in 1 month with 9 women, vetran and original PM can't build a quantum computer, no matter how many times you clone them.

At least, that's there excuse. I reckon they just need someone to throw under the bus when it's all over.
                FTFY

Comment

I did one gig for 3.5 years, was a good gig but stayed too long for same reasons you mention.

Since then I do 12 to 18 months with an absolute max of 2 years. Usually just decline the extension at a good point in time I.e. project done and not leaving them in the lurch no matter the terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've worked at the same client since 2005.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X