• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cv porkies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cv porkies

Been doing a round of cv checks for a job. The amount of lies people put on cv is crazy. The first thing I check is the person fit for the job, do they hold the right experience/ tech. I then check against linkedin. It's on LinkedIn where it's hard to lie that they get found out mostly. After that it's during interview.

I know of a contractor who has lied like no tomorrow and took credit for my work when I looked him up on LinkedIn, funny if I would come crossing paths in the future when he is looking for a contract.

nonsense, It's easier to lie on Linkedin than on a cv. I don't put all my contracts on LI, only the most interesting ones. My CV has them all for the last 8 years

Comment

Very true. Some contractors put skills onto their CV without any knowledge of those subjects at all. And the blagging they do when questioned in interview about it can be pitiful.

A little bit of exaggeration is probably a good thing, because it keeps them on their toes. But when they turn that into blatant lies, it is no use to anyone.

Now, Just got to get back to my work as Google's chief search algorithm architect, before I prepare for my next role designing the next CERN particle accelerator to be built encircling the entire country of Switzerland, and automated radiator bleeding system for sale to gladiators.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        nonsense, It's easier to lie on Linkedin than on a cv. I don't put all my contracts on LI, only the most interesting ones. My CV has them all for the last 8 years
        Well it's not nonsense is it! I don't know if you have done any recruiting or not but so far I have looked over 30 cv' s and only 4 have been the same on LinkedIn. It's usually the opposite way to you that I have seen so far.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
          so far I have looked over 30 cv' s and only 4 have been the same on LinkedIn.
          Lies, damned lies and statistics eh?

Comment

I've helped a number of clients with recruiting, just looking over CV's and advising and it makes me laugh so hard when a CV comes in and they've forgotten to change their linked in. Same clients but utterly completely different roles. I'm talking developers looking for Service Delivery gigs and the like. Some of them are just pure fabrication. I've been tempted to have them in just to see what they say for themselves in interview.

Rather worrying that the clients are passing them on to me and not even checking linkedin themselves though.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

one of my first contracting gigs back in 2010, a fellow contractor had the bright idea of adding Lehman Brothers to his CV, as who would be able to check

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                one of my first contracting gigs back in 2010, a fellow contractor had the bright idea of adding Lehman Brothers to his CV, as who would be able to check
                I was CIO of Enron, but I can't put it on my CV as there's a slight chance someone might not believe me...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  I was CIO of Enron, but I can't put it on my CV as there's a slight chance someone might not believe me...
                  Worse. There's a slight chance that someone might believe you.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well my CV clearly states that after having some time off after creating the Earth in 6 days I'm now looking for a more challenging role.

Comment

Working...
                    X