• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acounting software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acounting software

I have been blessed with having a very good accountant, saved me loads of cash as he actually works for the IR, and does this as extra - any how I think its time for me to start learning more about my accounts the ins and outs... does anyone have an accounting software? the ones I saw were Sage and it was quite expensive. Am looking for something simple that I can update with regular P&L ? and hopefully automatically calculate the rest of the finanical statements?

Originally posted by SandyDown
    I have been blessed with having a very good accountant, saved me loads of cash as he actually works for the IR, and does this as extra - any how I think its time for me to start learning more about my accounts the ins and outs... does anyone have an accounting software? the ones I saw were Sage and it was quite expensive. Am looking for something simple that I can update with regular P&L ? and hopefully automatically calculate the rest of the finanical statements?

Sandy, when I started my old company, we used Sage Acounting plus 100, and ran with it for about 7/8 years it was very good if your producing lots of invoices, in our case about 100 per month, it is however fairly tricky to learn. I now don't have that company and just produce about 10 invoices per month so I'm also looking for some software to manage that as well as my personal accounts........I would not use Sage as its far to complicated.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

n5gooner, I've been reading reviews of all accounting software on :

http://www.reviewcentre.com/products2030.html

and you are right most reviews says that Sage is not easy to use - not intuitive... however most other tools have bad reviews apart from a couple which I've never heard of and they are online (web-based) not sure this if they mean that they run on local webserver or do they require logging on a central server, if the latter then am not interested!!

Comment

Search for Quicken in google. Used that years ago. Don't know what it's like now ...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yep - I use QuickBooks and with the supplied manual it's very straight forward.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I haven't used it for over 10 years, but back then Quicken wasn't suitable for my business needs (something to do with VAT, I can't remember now).

QuickBooks was fine.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Yep - VAT is very straightforward.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hi,

I use quickbooks, does everything I need. VAT is two clicks.

Craig.

Comment

I use Sage Instant v12.

There is a guy (whos also an accountant) selling for £80+VAT on ebay inc del. They are genuine copies, delivered straight from SAGE, sealed etc.

A few bits along the way puzzled me but its well work it.

Very nice software IMHO, probably overkill for a contractor but I'm also hoping that plan B gets going more so nice to be prepared.

Comment

Thanks cojak how are you doing??

Comment

Working...
                    X