• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who needs a calculator for basic maths?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who needs a calculator for basic maths?

Was tempted to post this on the sales thread but thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Took a train on Sunday out to the sticks to spend some time with the folks.

Man came by with the refreshment trolley so I bought two coffees and a still water. The bloke had to use a calculator to work out how much I owed - FFS three items - two of them identical - and he still had to use a calculator to work out the total.

I could go into a rant about the poor mathematical skills of the youth of today but he was no spring chicken. What are these companies doing employing people without basic maths skills to do a cash handling job?

What is this country coming to? Grrr

I never use or need a calculator .... I use spreadsheets

Comment

Gonzo, you know I love you, but come on!!
      Do you know how much they're paid man?
      Are you really saying that people need to have a certain level of education before they're deemed worthy to push a trolley on a fricken train?

Think about what you're saying lad!

The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
        Gonzo, you know I love you, but come on!!
        Do you know how much they're paid man?
        Are you really saying that people need to have a certain level of education before they're deemed worthy to push a trolley on a fricken train?

Think about what you're saying lad!

Well, it is something that you should be thought at primary school. If school were working as they should, yes, that would not be really so much to ask. Indeed, that's quite important for this type of job.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          Well, it is something that you should be thought at primary school. If school were working as they should, yes, that would not be really so much to ask. Indeed, that's quite important for this type of job.

Indeed schools are not what they were
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne

Indeed schools are not what they were
            Well.... at least I know how to calculate 5.36 by 3.22 without a calculator
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I do. I cannot do any form of maths at all apart from very basic 2+2. Can pick up a language very fast though so I reckon my brain compensates like a blind man that can fly. Or hear good, or something like that.

Comment

Don't confuse arithmetic with mathematics. Many advanced mathematicians need calculators for simple arithmetic. 2 different things.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

I paid two cheques into my bank yesterday, £96.08 and £31.00. The teller used a calculator as well.
                  Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Didnt some numpty appear on here recently saying they had failed a basic maths test.

Looks like he got a job in the end then!!!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X