• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Account/Invoice Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Account/Invoice Software

Merry Xmas to you all.

I thought I would put this idea out to you all so you could maybe come up with some suggestions (or crucify me!!)
    I am in the middle of writing my own Accounting/Invoice tool. I know what you are thinking, there are loads out there so why bother. Well, I am building it using some new technologies so it is a learning thing mainly but I figured I might as well do something I can use.
    So far it does the standard timesheet/invoice. Also does VAT and flat rate.
    As this is a specific tool for IT contractors, what tools would you like to see in a piece of accounting/business management tool? I am trying to build some pretty graphs and projection tools on dividends taken/available, projected outgoings for total contract (based on average weekly spend), projected profits.

I'd want it to handle Payroll and Tax.

Correctly.

HTH
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Contracting calendar.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I find myself constantly looking at my SJD spreadsheet and working out invoiced amount - VAT - (costs - VAT paid - dividends paid) = profit - corporation tax - dividends paid = dividends available. So if you can do that, it'd be good.

Showing the cost if you get caught by IR35 might be good, and also the amount you gain by being on the VAT FRS.

Make sure it rounds everything correctly.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

How do you mean contracting calendar?
          A nice calendar style view of what you did, number of hours etc, amount invoiced and for which client/project?

If you recorded time and effort against things like writing proposals/pimping for new business would this make you less likely to be done by IR35? I know the whole thing is contract by contract basis but aren't you supposed to be seen as running a proper business and would this help?

Comment

Costs if caught by IR35 would be good.
            Would proably scare the excess xmas turkey out of me as well though!!

I am using the SJD spreadsheet as well and although it is pretty good I still find myself with my calculator a lot.

Comment

CSV and tab-delimited import and export for spreadsheet and/or database work.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X