• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepting a role through agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accepting a role through agency

Usual problem of they will prepare the paperwork after I verbally accept. I used to do this in the past but got burned last year when I had three prospective roles all about to offer.

One said they wanted me and told me a rate and start date. I told the agent (who I've known a long time) I'll take it. Meanwhile I gently let down the others. Next day, the end client pulled the offer. Agent and I did a WTF?. Of course all my second options were now not interested in me.
    Bit of a mess and the first time it's happened in 18 year of contracting,

About to be in the same position again. Is there a better process, I don't know, like house conveyancing

accept verbally, pending agreement of the Ts and Cs of the contract.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by CalmEddie View Post
      Usual problem of they will prepare the paperwork after I verbally accept. I used to do this in the past but got burned last year when I had three prospective roles all about to offer.

One said they wanted me and told me a rate and start date. I told the agent (who I've known a long time) I'll take it. Meanwhile I gently let down the others. Next day, the end client pulled the offer. Agent and I did a WTF?. Of course all my second options were now not interested in me.
      Bit of a mess and the first time it's happened in 18 year of contracting,

About to be in the same position again. Is there a better process, I don't know, like house conveyancing
      Nothing you can do about client pulling gigs. They will do it if the contract is signed or not. We had a guy here awhile back turned up in reception on the first day and got turned away because the gig fell through. That's just part of the game.

You can however attempt to hedge your bets and juggle them a little. As Lance says you can add a little delay on your side by accepting verbally subject to contract checks. Once you are their choice you hold a bit of position power. They aren't going to drop you just because you introduce a weeks delay. It's going to take longer to go get the second candidate who might also now be unavailable as well etc so you can make them flex a little. That week might allow you to keep other options open a little longer while the contract appears.

Another thing you can do is get IPSE+ insurance. If the gig falls through after signing the contract you can claim a bit of money from their business interruption offering. Not a huge amount but better than nothing. Won't help the gig situation but you get a bit of money if it does go south.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        accept verbally, pending agreement of the Ts and Cs of the contract.
        Accept all of them verbally, pending etc...

Comment

I thought I was just unlucky last time

Happened to me, signed all the contracts, had a start date (3 weeks away), so decided to go on holiday and turn down everything else.

Wend on holiday, got a call 5 days before start date, gig is off.

I was Devastated, the role was PERFECT.

Agent told me this was the first time this company had EVER pulled a role in all the time they had been working together.

As the saying goes 'sh*t happens'

Comment

Working...
          X