• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Date of birth on CVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Date of birth on CVs

I'm a newbie here...... [waits for groans to die down] ...... but don't panic! I'm not going to ask about IR35 or umbrellas! (yet)

I was wondering, since the age discrimination laws have come in, should I now be removing Date Of Birth from my CV? I'm "only" 37 so it's not like I'm worried, but is there any requirement for DOB any more? Or will an agency say, well we need DOB because of........? And can I say back to them "no you don't"?

I did some Googling but results were inconclusive. I also saw a post elsewhere on the board where a guy did not give DOB until he was actually employed. But I don't know if it's general practice or whether he was a "rebel"!

Essentially no need to provide your DOB. The ageism law prohibits your age being taken into account.

In any case if you are a contractor your age is irrelevant - your ability to do the work/complete the project is all that matters.

Comment

I dont have a DOB on my CV. Mainly becuase at 23 people think you are unable to do the job. So remove it and they all think that I am older and I get the work.

Comment

Take it off, along with your hobbies and 'career aspirations'. A contractor CV should convey the idea that you are a superhuman results-driven automaton. Anything that suggests you are mere flesh and blood born of woman has no place there.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

Nice one Thunderlizard.. should I also add "I'll be back.." at the end?

Comment

No. Contract extensions mean budget overruns so they dont want us sticking around.

Comment

Working...
            X