• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Over payment of Invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over payment of Invoice

I have just been contacted by an old employer. They are claiming that they overpaid me by 5 days work in July 2017. It looks like this may have been the case but only for 2 days. We are currently going over the invoices and dates in question now. But at the time neither myself, my accountant, nor the company paying me noticed.

I have since closed the company down as of June 2018. What are my obligations? I have returned to working in the financial industry in question but as a full time employee instead of a contractor with a LTD company.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Refer them to your closed company for payment

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Client

And they've only just noticed nearly 2 years down the track!

Company now closed and you're not contracting any longer, they'll just have to take it on the chin and move on.

Comment

Tough **** for them unfortunately. They should have noticed sooner. The liability to repay the overpayment died with the company.

Comment

Originally posted by GustavoHunter View Post
          I have just been contacted by an old employer. They are claiming that they overpaid me by 5 days work in July 2017. It looks like this may have been the case but only for 2 days. We are currently going over the invoices and dates in question now. But at the time neither myself, my accountant, nor the company paying me noticed.

I have since closed the company down as of June 2018. What are my obligations? I have returned to working in the financial industry in question but as a full time employee instead of a contractor with a LTD company.

Client not employer. I would pick up the phone and let them know you are talking in a personal capacity as a courtesy. Tell them company is closed. Keep it friendly but firm.

Comment

Originally posted by GustavoHunter View Post

Welcome,

Since the limited company is dissolved it no longer exists so unfortunately your "old employer" will have to take it on the chin. As the previous post has mentioned, keep it nice and civil but firm. They wouldn't get very far contacting Woolworth's for a pick 'n mix they paid twice for and for the same principal, since your company no longer exists, there's nothing they can do.

In reality, they'll probably write the overpayment off in their books and notch it down to an oversight and lesson learnt and perhaps kick their accountant for not picking it up. Don't spend too much time worrying about it after that.

Comment

All of this is legally correct, but perhaps missing an opportunity for your business.

You could tell them that company is closed, so there's nothing I can do about it now -- but I am now working through another company, and would be glad to give them good terms on any future contract as a good-will measure. Please call me if anything comes up.

If nothing else it lets you come across as a decent bloke, and it could even lead to the kind of client relationship I'm always looking to build -- the kind where we treat each other well, I trust them and they trust me, and they keep calling me back every time some little thing comes up. I may give up something in situations like this but in the long run it is very lucrative and satisfying to have those kinds of client relationships.

Comment

Working...
              X