• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crime and Punishment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crime and Punishment

If that Russian nonsense is supposed to be "intellectual reading", then I'm glad I'm a thicko.

What a load of rubbish.

Back to Viz for me.
    Call the cops

Yes, I prefer Viz. There's a moral in every story.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      Yes, I prefer Viz. There's a moral in every story.
      Exactly.

Everytime I finish reading one of Viz's topical, hard-hitting stories, I feel that I can offer more to my fellow man with my newly acquired perspective of life.

And it's funny as **** too.
      Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
        If that Russian nonsense is supposed to be "intellectual reading", then I'm glad I'm a thicko.

What a load of rubbish.

Back to Viz for me.
        Took me over a year to read it (Crime and Punishment not Viz). I had this idea that I would try some Russian literature. I still have War and Peace to get through but after C&P I am in no hurry to start it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo
          Took me over a year to read it (Crime and Punishment not Viz). I had this idea that I would try some Russian literature. I still have War and Peace to get through but after C&P I am in no hurry to start it.
          Try Gogol for Russian literature, it's much funnier (in a Russian way)
          Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

I am currently working my way through Mikhail Bulgakovs works, like HC Andersen, the original language is so much better than the translatinos.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              I am currently working my way through Mikhail Bulgakovs works, like HC Andersen, the original language is so much better than the translatinos.
              I don't agree. Translatinos are much more fun for a night out. El duder would even accept a BJ from one of them
              Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Never managed to finish it, but I did read The Idiot long ago which was ok. Russian novels are always difficult cos I can never remember who is who due to the names. Gulag Archipeligo by Solzinetstin, now that really was pooh, not just names but the characters of the characters all seemed the same.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

For a quick and easily digestible bit of Russian Literature have a read of "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

If that wets your appetite then take a bash at Gulag Archipelego, also by Solzhenitsyn. Historical, informative, and does a very competent hatchet job on Lenin to boot. Not what most western readers would call "High Literature", as it leans more to factual accounts and a journalistic style. But the definitions are a lot closer and the lines a lot fuzzier in Russian literary custom.

You can find the complete text of "One Day" online here
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Russian lit is odd because it's the only canon where books can qualify as bing massively great without having any sense of humour at all.

Dostoevsky's all about the characterisation. Sort of Jane Austen with a beard and scabies. The only really impressive thing is how he makes all the characters immediately realistic and engaging whilst giving them a story that's dull and a situation that's wretched. "Notes from Underground" is the textbook example: toss all happens but in a mysteriously engaging way.

Don't let him put you off War and Peace. It's much more of a page-turner. Take one of those glitzy but preposterous American soap operas, add the Battle of Austerlitz and some confused historical essays and you're nearly there.

Comment

Working...
                    X