• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wifi cantennas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi cantennas?

Hello everyone, I need to build a cantenna that is able to connect me to a wifi about a mile away. Is this realistic? How far do cantennas normally reach? If not cantennas, are there other amplifiers on the market that will let me get the wifi signal from about a mile away?

Try here:

LMGTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Oliveoil View Post
      Hello everyone, I need to build a cantenna that is able to connect me to a wifi about a mile away. Is this realistic? How far do cantennas normally reach? If not cantennas, are there other amplifiers on the market that will let me get the wifi signal from about a mile away?
      Inneresting.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliveoil View Post
        Back in the 80s I qualified as a microwave engineer to add to by data comms qualifications. In those days leased lines were expensive therefore I set up some short distance microwave connections for clients.

The short answer is, it is possible that you could get a weak connection but it will be practically useless. You would need to install repeaters.

Why not go VPN via 4G or even portable satellite comms?
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Cantenna and a sky dish both ends, that's the way to go.

It's better if the can hasn't got ripples in the wall.

As you say, it is really really inneresting.

Of course you could go for a 2.4GHz yagi, or a 2.4GHz disc yagi.

That'd be inneresting too.

Have you tried bleeding the radiators yet?
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 March 2019, 12:19.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Transmitters that have a range greater than a few meters require a license. Forget it.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Transmitters that have a range greater than a few meters require a license. Forget it.
              Not in all cases.

Lora...

OP, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wifi?
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Depends on whether or not you worry about ERP.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  Not in all cases.

Lora...

OP, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wifi?
                  2.4 Ghz is 100mW Max License Free
                  5 Ghz is 200mW Max License Free
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    2.4 Ghz is 100mW Max License Free
                    5 Ghz is 200mW Max License Free
                    The 5GHz spectrum in the UK runs from 5150MHz (5.15GHz) to 5850MHz (5.85GHz). This is then broken down into 3 different bands (Band A, B and C). Each band has its own maximum allowed effective radiated power output and specific rules as to where it can be used and whether a license is required to operate within it.

This info is contained in the table below

Band Low High Indoor/Outdoor Max Power Level License Requirements
                    A 5150MHz 5350MHz Indoor 200mW License Free
                    B 5470MHz 5725MHz Indoor/Outdoor 1000mW (1W) License Free <------------------------------
                    C 5725MHz 5850MHz Outdoor (FWA) 4000mW (4W) Licensed
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X