• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurances

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurances

OK, this old chestnut again, I did do a search and have read old threads relating to companies insurances, just wondering how many of you have all the insurances PI, PL, EL, Tax &VAT investigations?? I need to have one ASAP cuz its in my new contract (for 1000000), at the moment I have no insurances at all , I know its bad, but I got away with it up to now.

I got an online quote from Claunce o'hara which was around £433 this is for (Professional Indemnity Policy- Office Contents -Portable Equipment-Business Interruption -Employers Liability -Public Liability-Legal Expenses -Health & Safety Policy) , I am not a member of the PCG, I looked at the website, and the PCGPlus membership costs £220, but couldn't get a quote for the insurances cuz I am not registered yet. Can I ask how many of you are PCG registered? is it worth registering with the PCG and getting their insurance (thought I think its going to be quite expensinve

Originally posted by SandyDown
    OK, this old chestnut again, I did do a search and have read old threads relating to companies insurances, just wondering how many of you have all the insurances PI, PL, EL, Tax &VAT investigations?? I need to have one ASAP cuz its in my new contract (for 1000000), at the moment I have no insurances at all , I know its bad, but I got away with it up to now.

I got an online quote from Claunce o'hara which was around £433 this is for (Professional Indemnity Policy- Office Contents -Portable Equipment-Business Interruption -Employers Liability -Public Liability-Legal Expenses -Health & Safety Policy) , I am not a member of the PCG, I looked at the website, and the PCGPlus membership costs £220, but couldn't get a quote for the insurances cuz I am not registered yet. Can I ask how many of you are PCG registered? is it worth registering with the PCG and getting their insurance (thought I think its going to be quite expensinve
    I have PI (£1,000,000 is a requirement of the current contract), PL and EL (EL is not strictly speaking necessary for a one-man-band Ltd co but I feel better for having it). I have no Tax & VAT investigation insurance other than that provided by the PCG basic membership).

Comment

Gonzo - thanks for replying, do you have your insurance through the PCG? how much did you have to pay?? is it better to have a PCG memebrship in anycase or should I go for Caunce O'Hara direct

thanks

Comment

Well I would tell you, but as you're having a dig at how many posts i make, i will graciously stay out of this thread
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
          Gonzo - thanks for replying, do you have your insurance through the PCG? how much did you have to pay?? is it better to have a PCG memebrship in anycase or should I go for Caunce O'Hara direct

thanks
          I took out the insurance separately with Caunce O'Hara came to £730 in total but it depends on what your expected turnover is and the level of PI cover required. Probably not the most cost effective way of doing it though if there are better deals via PCG, I haven't really investigated though.

I feel happier being part of the PCG for their backing in the event of an IR35 investigation, I am sure Malvolio will pop up at some point to explain that there are many other benefits of PCG membership.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
            Well I would tell you, but as you're having a dig at how many posts i make, i will graciously stay out of this thread
            Aaaaah ...SA hope you didn't take it to heart, if you are actually the preciously known WS then that' fine with me he was a firend of mine but hope you are not AtW... no worries re not posting on mu thread, hey at least you have one more post added to your number of posts.. I was just surprised, I've been a member of this BB for around 4to 5 years and haven't fathered any where as near as your number of posts, mind you, I used to do a lot of posting in the old version of the BB, I know that you have an excuse you are on the bench !!

May be am all out of arguing about most topics (e.g. war in Iraq/Afghanistan, America's attitude, New Liebour, Men &Women etc..)

Also I am very impressed - some members here have matured a lot, e.g. almost all agree on a recent thread via a new-bee that the best technology experience to be in is the one the client needs - few years ago there would have been a war with Unix/Java camp against Microsoft camp.. also the old argument re - graduates vs non-graduates...lord those were the days...

Keep posting mate .. you should be used to all kind of teasing from all kind of people here so shoudn't care what I say at all !!

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo
              I took out the insurance separately with Caunce O'Hara came to £730 in total but it depends on what your expected turnover is and the level of PI cover required. Probably not the most cost effective way of doing it though if there are better deals via PCG, I haven't really investigated though.

I feel happier being part of the PCG for their backing in the event of an IR35 investigation, I am sure Malvolio will pop up at some point to explain that there are many other benefits of PCG membership.
              Jeeeeeees £730 that's a lot... even thought am supposed to be management consultant (did I really say that !!) I still said I was an IT contractor .. also I sort of said my turnover was less cus you never know... you may stay on the bench for a few months hence I got the £432 quote...

Comment

course I didn't take offense - I was only teasing.

I didn't bother with the insurance stuff for the first few years of contracting, but I did a contract through Elan and they insisted on it, through Chance Ohara (or whatever they're called). i think it cost about £600ish for them all. I didn't take out Legal Expenses though, which I wish I had. It was only an extra £50 or something, and as I got a letter from the lovely tax man saying he wanted to investigate me 2 months afterwards, it would have came in very handy!

Only you can decide whther to take it out or not - I think I will always take it out now - it's buttns compared to what you earn really.

And, no I'm not any of the people you said, I'm just me.
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

I Have PCG plus membership and with PCG the Randal Dorling insurance package costs ~£200, quoting from the website :

The cover starts at £100,000 plus a shared layer of £1m for PI and includes Employers' Liability of £10,000,000 and Public Liability of £1,000,000. Premiums vary with turnover and start at £171 (+ 5% IPT) for those in IT with turnover below £100,000 a year, while Premiums for Engineers and other non-IT contractors are higher and are based on personal quotes.

It will vary based on turnover, how much equipment you want to insure ( I have none covered ) and how you operate - subbing work, working overseas etc.

But for a standard level of cover I wouldn't expect it to be more than £250.

VAT, PAYE, IR35 investigation cover aand all the other bells and whistles I get from PCG Membership. The PCG+ is definately worth the extra dosh for the extra cover.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Dave, the membership plus costa around £200 then the extra insurance would be another £200 + .. hence its not a bargain at all, same price as O'hara's !! I need to make a decision tomorro, I've had too many Baileys to make a good decision tonight

Comment

Working...
                    X