• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad back

I've managed to pick up a lower back ache - not a niggle.. but a full blown can't get out of my chair pain.
    I was looking at inversion tables - they seen reasonably priced - has anyone tried these or have any recomendations for helping back pain?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Cycling and a rowing machine (proper one like a water rower etc.)
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
      I've managed to pick up a lower back ache - not a niggle.. but a full blown can't get out of my chair pain.
      I was looking at inversion tables - they seen reasonably priced - has anyone tried these or have any recomendations for helping back pain?
      You want to ease it, not help it!

To ease it, lie on your back and pull your knees to your chest. Crouching down with your head between your knees also works.

Comment

You basically need to stretch out the muscles that support the lower spine. The one I use is flat on the floor on your back, bring one knee up, cross the other leg over it so your ankle is on the knee then twist (gently) to one side so that foot touches the floor, with your shoulders still flat. Hold it as long as you are comfortable. Repeat for the other side.

Stop twisting as soon as it hurts (although try and hold it there for a while), and take it very gently until you're a bit looser.

Then go and find your local McTimonie Chiropractor (not any other kind, make sure it's a registered McTimonie one) and get a course of treatement - a bit new world but it works.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I had it last year for about three months, what a b@stard. Its the type of thing you shrug off when you are 20 but its a real crippler when you get to 50.

Didnt stop me driving down to work in London tho kerching, oww, kerching, oohhh, kerching, oooww
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

We can rebuild you

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1774836,00.html

Try the 5 excercises in there.

I have also found relief by losing weight(slimming world) and pilates.

Comment

You have my sympathy. Often it's regarded as a comedy illness since the days of it being the most popular for the workshy. I have had a few doses of it and it is bloody painful and also affects every single movement of the body. In fact even staying still didn't help to stop the pain. Struggled to the docs and got as many drugs as I could. I was permie so didn't rush back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
                http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1774836,00.html

Try the 5 excercises in there.

I have also found relief by losing weight(slimming world) and pilates.
                My Physio recommended pilates. But I didn't bother. Fortunately my problem has not come back since I stopped seeing her.

But anyway, the reason for posting is that the answer is to find a good Physio. This problem will not get better any other way. The physio will help you with the short term problem and should tell you what is wrong with your posture to have caused it in the first place.

Taking pills to stop the paid is a dumb move (unless you really can't live without them). You will simply allow yourself to continue using your back wrongly in the short term and will end up permanentyly crippled in the longer term.

tim

Comment

Thanks for all the replies - like the song says - you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone!!

I have always had a 'strong' back so this has come as quite a suprise - but I did injure the back 30 years ago in a motorcycling accident -never given me a problem to date so I don't know if this is related.

You basically need to stretch out the muscles that support the lower spine. The one I use is flat on the floor on your back, bring one knee up, cross the other leg over it so your ankle is on the knee then twist (gently) to one side so that foot touches the floor, with your shoulders still flat. Hold it as long as you are comfortable. Repeat for the other side.
                  Feck that hurts
                  To ease it, lie on your back and pull your knees to your chest. Crouching down with your head between your knees also works.
                  I don't think I could ever get my knees to my chest when I was 20 ish...crouching is definately out!
                  I have also found relief by losing weight
                  Middle aged spead goes with the territory
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

Feck that hurts
                    Works for me, at 56 and 17 stone... OTOH I do lift weights and used to be a fairly quality badminton player (although at rather less than 17 stone!)

I said "gently". If it hurts, it's because you're stretching things that don't stretch like they should. Keep at it and it stops hurting. The back muscles you're pulling are the strongest in the body, and they're cramping to support the weakened joint. You have to loosen them gradually.

Then again I did mine in carrying a 240 pound concrete birdbath when I stepped off a kerb I didn't see. Left me with a permanent weakness that I've learned to work around - lift things properly and recognise when it's getting overstrained so you stop before you do the damage. Haven't had a serious problem for around 10 years now (says he, tempting fate... _
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X