• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partitioning an internal garage to create a home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partitioning an internal garage to create a home office

We have an internal garage that is part of the house, never used for the car o has just become a dumping ground for crap from when we merged two houses into one. I want to throw up a partition for the back part of the space and create a home office. Nothing fancy timber frame and plaster board, but also looking to use "whiteboard paint" to make as much of the new wall space useable.

Firstly has anyone ever got rid of their garage? Or used the type of paint. Any gotchas that need to be thought about? There is light and power there already but the fuse box is also in the garage so a sparky should be able to add a few extra spurs as and when I need them. There is a separate door to the garden which has a frosted glass part which will add some natural light but not enough to not need some other lighting. As it will be temporary wall, and having no desire to any time soon, if and when it comes selling the house the wall can be taken down and turned into a full garage again. Anything else to think about?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I'd say you've got to think about the insulation and heating. It's likely if it's a newer house the garage area isn't as well insulated and can get very cold in winter. Is it bare breeze block wall or has it already got plasterboard up? If it has it's unlikely to be insulated. Not a biggie but could make it difficult to use in colder months.

I've seen a people do a proper conversion on garages leaving about a quarter to a third for storage at the front and if anything I'd say it's added value so doesn't need to come down. They built a proper set of shelves for storage at the front to maximise use and insulated room behind. Very useful.

Not sure how a quick fix would affect sellability or anything. Not worth looking in to getting it done properly? Speak to an estate agent or two and get their thoughts?

I put the idea of the whiteboard paint to my other half but our office is in the house so there is no way she was having scrawlings on the walls. Cool idea though.

You thought about the whole hog and getting the magnetic stuff? Bit steep though
    Magnetic Whiteboard Paint | White | Smarter Surfaces
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 March 2019, 11:30.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a whiteboard wall in my office. No downsides or issues so far -except don't bother going too low. You'll just do your back in.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Don't know about whiteboard wall paint, but....

I converted half a garage into an office. Put up a partition with an internal door, another external door and insulated the walls and floor. It's really cosy and works well for me.

House just went on the market and the estate agent noted the home office as a benefit so I wouldn't think about taking it down.

Comment

Originally posted by t0bytoo View Post
          Don't know about whiteboard wall paint, but....

I converted half a garage into an office. Put up a partition with an internal door, another external door and insulated the walls and floor. It's really cosy and works well for me.

House just went on the market and the estate agent noted the home office as a benefit so I wouldn't think about taking it down.
          How did you insulate it? As it's part of the house rather than a standalone, two of the three walls form part of the kitchen and living room, the roof is the floor of the first floor of the house I'm hoping insulating won't be too big a task
          Last edited by SimonMac; 25 March 2019, 11:58.

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            We have an internal garage that is part of the house, never used for the car o has just become a dumping ground for crap from when we merged two houses into one. I want to throw up a partition for the back part of the space and create a home office. Nothing fancy timber frame and plaster board, but also looking to use "whiteboard paint" to make as much of the new wall space useable.

Firstly has anyone ever got rid of their garage? Or used the type of paint. Any gotchas that need to be thought about? There is light and power there already but the fuse box is also in the garage so a sparky should be able to add a few extra spurs as and when I need them. There is a separate door to the garden which has a frosted glass part which will add some natural light but not enough to not need some other lighting. As it will be temporary wall, and having no desire to any time soon, if and when it comes selling the house the wall can be taken down and turned into a full garage again. Anything else to think about?
            Have you talked to your local planning department about change of use. It is of no consequence how temporary you feel the wall is, if you don't you may find yourself in breech of planning regs. You could also find, when you come to try to sell, that any 'on the ball' conveyance company, who incidentally will be acting for the mortgage provider and not the purchaser, may advise the mortgage company to refuse the mortgage if you cannot provide planning consent for the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              Have you talked to your local planning department about change of use. It is of no consequence how temporary you feel the wall is, if you don't you may find yourself in breech of planning regs. You could also find, when you come to try to sell, that any 'on the ball' conveyance company, who incidentally will be acting for the mortgage provider and not the purchaser, may advise the mortgage company to refuse the mortgage if you cannot provide planning consent for the change.
              We've just bought the house so have a list of all the restrictive covenants etc.

Comment

Is the area sensitive to car theft? Is there plenty of parking? If no real need for parking cars in garages around your way then likely the conversion will be seen as a bonus rather then a negative come future selling.

On a new housing estate I ended up having to use the garage for storing my car (I know right, what's the world coming to) after a series of thefts and attempted thefts in the area. A neighbour who had converted his garage to two thirds room, one third storage (still has it like that afaik) was stuck with sweating over the thieving scum breaking in for his car keys. He ended up getting a less desirable car, though sold it as a favour to his wife getting a more practical car so they didn't have to use only her car for transporting the kids.

I think he paid a proper builder to do the conversion so it met building regs and any other red tape, so no issue if they ever move. Just a simple partition and insulation with a radiator on their central heating so the room part appears just like the rest of their house. Aided by having an internal door which they already had.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Is the area sensitive to car theft? Is there plenty of parking? If no real need for parking cars in garages around your way then likely the conversion will be seen as a bonus rather then a negative come future selling.

On a new housing estate I ended up having to use the garage for storing my car (I know right, what's the world coming to) after a series of thefts and attempted thefts in the area. A neighbour who had converted his garage to two thirds room, one third storage (still has it like that afaik) was stuck with sweating over the thieving scum breaking in for his car keys. He ended up getting a less desirable car, though sold it as a favour to his wife getting a more practical car so they didn't have to use only her car for transporting the kids.

I think he paid a proper builder to do the conversion so it met building regs and any other red tape, so no issue if they ever move. Just a simple partition and insulation with a radiator on their central heating so the room part appears just like the rest of their house. Aided by having an internal door which they already had.
                  That's assuming you haven't bought a Persimmon house where the garage isn't big enough for a car. I'm sure they aren't the only ones but a garage doesn't seem to be design for cars anymore.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    Yes and no, and yes.

We are in a "good" area next to a scummy estate, however the way the plots are laid out they have to come all the way down a long cul-de-sac to get to us and there are lots more targets before us. As for plenty of parking, yes, can easily park two cars without needed in the garage.

Comment

Working...
                    X