• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FreeAgent bank data import - more trouble than it's worth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FreeAgent bank data import - more trouble than it's worth?

I have business accounts with both Santander and HSBC. Ever since I switched to FA, it is a PITA. I'll try to import and spend a few minutes waiting until it fails, then do a manual import of downloaded statements. On the odd occasion an import works, it ends up with duplicate rows of things I import manually.

Does it work for other people? Is there no way for it to automatically import things instead of having to login and do it periodically?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I've got it set up with Santander and it's been absolutely spot on. I seem to remember I had to cancel and re-enter the details once and somewhere in by dim dark memory there was an issue updating but it seemed to resolve itself but that's it. Can't complain at all.

I log in and it's just there. I know it goes in overnight but never normally check as it's so reliable. Just checked it now and mine says

Latest Import
    25 Mar 19 at 03:15
    (0 imported)

EDIT : Slightly off topic but something I've notice is that draft invoices keep appearing. I do mine in batches a couple of weeks ahead and did them to the end of the financial year recently. Just noticed now that there is a draft of a duplicated invoice in there. It happened not so long ago and I just put it down to my screw up but with another one in there today I'm not so sure now.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 March 2019, 12:46.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or as today, I force an import and it just decides to miss a big chunk out so I have to spend time downloading and piecing everything together.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Or as today, I force an import and it just decides to miss a big chunk out so I have to spend time downloading and piecing everything together.
        Oh. I don't think it's ever missed things but I haven't done a manual one for a very long time.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep! Had the same problems - HSBC and my experiences were:
          • Seemed to be marked as down/unavailable more often than it worked
          • Took absolutely forever for it to go through using my one time keypad
          • When you did eventually get it to process it was 50/50 if it returned anything or not
          • And if it did return something, it didn't always reconcile

I will say that the last point, where it misses things, was quite rare but I eventually gave up on it when it missed a bunch of stuff and the manual import created a load of duplicates. Given I still need my One Time Key and needed to log onto online banking to double check the figures anyway, I found it quicker to do a manual import than faff about.

Comment

Mine is with HSBC - it imports fine, but does take a lot longer than "a few minutes" - usually about 20-30 for just 5-20 transactions.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

No experience with Santander, but I don't like the HSBC one. Mainly due to two factor authentication (which I appreciate is there for a good reason). I rely on the QIF transaction download/uploads.

They should all improve fairly soon. Deadline for first stage of "open banking" has already passed, missed by most of the big banks. Should be great imports very soon though...

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                No experience with Santander, but I don't like the HSBC one. Mainly due to two factor authentication (which I appreciate is there for a good reason). I rely on the QIF transaction download/uploads.

They should all improve fairly soon. Deadline for first stage of "open banking" has already passed, missed by most of the big banks. Should be great imports very soon though...
                Yeah. Cater Allen just works and is automatic, I don't do anything. Everyone should be able to do this when the present openbanking APIs. This might take a while because most of the big banks failed at delivering, but the challenger banks will likely be able to provide this quicker.

Comment

My Santander one just works. Happens overnight.

If I do run it manually it does take a while, but rarely that I need to do that.

Comment

I'm with barclays, it just works for me, I think it does it overnight. Sometimes the previous/same days aren't there but it will catch up the next day. Not a problem as I don't need it to be real time up to date. I've never had to do it manually.

I also set up regular bills in freeagent, so standing orders and direct debits are automatically assigned to them. I reference the payments to myself as "dividend","payroll" etc so it automatically marks them correctly too. I'd say 90% or so of payments are marked correctly so I just need to go in and approve them. The ones that aren't are normally one of payments for something I've bought or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                    X