• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Liability Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liability Insurance

Come on. Who has ever needed it with their LTD companies?

Personally. I dont believe that any contractor has ever needed it?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I am thinking of getting it but am now thinking I may not need it.

But has anyone on this board ever needed to call on their PI, PL or EL insurance?

How extreme do the conditions have to be before you are sued?

Comment

At one time I had all the insurances but I haven't bothered now for years.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

When I had the shop I obviously needed loads of insurance but for contracting, I have never needed it, never been asked for it and frankly never paid for it in 8 years.

The only time I got nervous on a contract was when I was asked to cook the figures for a government contract which made me decide not to renew or do it as it was illegal to whit, I swear they would have tried to pin it on me.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The gig I'm on at the moment insist that I have it, I've had it for about 9 years but never needed to use it.
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

I only have what the PCG Plus provides as standard (i.e. none).

I dont believe that its a big thing in contracting. Of course you could say that having it points to "i expect I can make a loss" so pointer to IR35.

Personally I get everything signed off and keep records of that so if anything goes wrong then I have a paper trail to fall back on to protect myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
              I only have what the PCG Plus provides as standard (i.e. none).

I dont believe that its a big thing in contracting. Of course you could say that having it points to "i expect I can make a loss" so pointer to IR35.

Personally I get everything signed off and keep records of that so if anything goes wrong then I have a paper trail to fall back on to protect myself.
              Wrong, but never mind. PCGPlus has nothing to do with PI, PLI or ELI.

You need PI if your contract says you do, otherwise in reality you don't since nobody has ever been sued for it.

You need PLI if you hurt someone while on client premises and they sue you.

You don't need ELI, unless you have employees or subs.

I usually have to have some PI cover, so I get all three for £200 a year through the PCG. I just see it as an ongoing business expense.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio

You need PI if your contract says you do, otherwise in reality you don't since nobody has ever been sued for it.

You need PLI if you hurt someone while on client premises and they sue you.

You don't need ELI, unless you have employees or subs.

I usually have to have some PI cover, so I get all three for £200 a year through the PCG. I just see it as an ongoing business expense.
                I know... thats why I wrote (i.e. none) in the message.

Contracts never mentioned PI so dont pay for it. PLI maybe but as I work on my own for 99% of the time I'm really going to have to go some to injure someone in a conference room at the Hilton. ELI...no people other than myself so I'll leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                  Come on. Who has ever needed it with their LTD companies?

Personally. I dont believe that any contractor has ever needed it?
                  You're a fecking liability, so if anyone ought to have such insurance, it's you.

Happy New Year, btw...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio

I presume you mean no freelance IT contractor has been sued for it. I can assure you that engineers and surveyor types are sued for it frequently (as a group).

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X