• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordo is after more cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordo is after more cash

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2526963.html
    Tax inspectors are being offered bonuses to encourage them to collect more money from individuals and businesses, The Times has learnt.
    In a move akin to the wage boosts given to traffic wardens who issue the most penalties, the bonuses paid out by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) are worth up to £2,000 for inspectors who meet their targets.

HMRC has also told its tax compliance teams across the country to increase the amount of unpaid tax that they recover by a quarter over the next year. The instruction came on the back of a separate set of targets published by HMRC. Under measures set out in the Public Service Agreement, an extra £11 billion in outstanding tax must be recovered by tax inspectors by 2008.

A former tax inspector, who did not wish to be named, told The Times that pressure to bring in more money inevitably would lead to inspectors seeking out more companies and individuals for investigation.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Well I see that as a good thing for us.

As long as you follow the tax rules they have not changed any so you are still llegally good.

Personally if they come knocking i'll just point them in the direction of my accountatn and then point him in the direction of PCG when the bill comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      Personally if they come knocking i'll just point them in the direction of my accountatn and then point him in the direction of PCG when the bill comes.

The cover with PCG+ is for legal costs not the tax owed (if any).

HTH

Comment

Assuming you are running things properly you should have paid all that is owed anyway.

By making the investigations expensive, to end up showing we have paid what we owe anyway, can only be a good thing. After blowing enough money they might start getting the idea that we aren't the people to go after and lock onto somebody else.

Aw who am I kidding, there are hundreds of It Contracting twats in this country that claim silly expenses, have no insurance for an IR35 investigation and probably have dodgy books as well. We're all doomed!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
          The cover with PCG+ is for legal costs not the tax owed (if any).
          Aye. Ovbiously I'll be following all the rules so am above board. All my contracts are outside IR35 so its good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            I'd point them straight at the PCG, never at my own accountant. They know how to handle IR35 investigations, accountants don't. That's what I pay the PCG insurance for.

Comment

Suits me. A change from number of investigations to tax brought in means they will concentrate on all you successful bastards in the financial sector and leave us not terribly successful engineering sector contractors with big 'resting' gaps alone.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

TBH I can't see that a bonus scheme for 3% of salary (even for someone on 60K) is worth the bother.

tim

Comment

Working...
                X