• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timer question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer question

This is my first post, so a big hello to all the regulars.

After two years as a permanent Java developer I've finally decided to put my money where my mouth is and move into contracting. I have, as I'm sure all first timers do, a whole bunch of questions. Here're the current big ones, any advice would be much appreciated:
    • Obviously I'd rather not quit my permanent job without securing a contract. This would mean a start date at least a month away. Is this unreasonable or unlikely? Will I find myself having to quit, wait a bit and then find a job?
    • I have enough money to last for two or three months without a pay cheque. Credit cards would of course carry me a whole lot further but at painful interest so I'd rather not go there. Should I have more savings before moving into contracting?

Again, any help much appreciated. Cheers!

Hi James,

Definately DO NOT quit your job before you land your first gig. You have to always think about the money (thats the first rule of Contractor Club!)

Its far better to find a gig while you're working, most jobs will wait for your notice period, but if they want you immediately, then simply fake a bad back when handing in your notice to your permie gig.

In my opinion, dont do aything which risks you being without money.

Sal
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Virgin Contractor Guide
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Bear in mind a lot of agents wont want to place permie. They usually wat you to start tomorrow or next week and a lot of permies who think about contracting hange thier mind at the last minute.

You are probably more likely to secure a gig once your permie role has finished.

One more thing to think about, are you sure contracting is the life for you? If you don't think you are going to be able to score a gig in the next 3 months, what makes you think you will ever score a gig?

If you don't want to quit your permie job until you have a contract because you are scared of not having a job to bring the money in it does imply tat you may not be cut out for the contracting lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by jamescoleuk
          This is my first post, so a big hello to all the regulars.

After two years as a permanent Java developer I've finally decided to put my money where my mouth is and move into contracting. I have, as I'm sure all first timers do, a whole bunch of questions. Here're the current big ones, any advice would be much appreciated:
          • Obviously I'd rather not quit my permanent job without securing a contract. This would mean a start date at least a month away. Is this unreasonable or unlikely? Will I find myself having to quit, wait a bit and then find a job?
          • I have enough money to last for two or three months without a pay cheque. Credit cards would of course carry me a whole lot further but at painful interest so I'd rather not go there. Should I have more savings before moving into contracting?

Again, any help much appreciated. Cheers!

A months notice isn't a problem, more than that and you might have to start negotiating with your current employers to get out as soon as you can. Most will be reasonable about it if you are reasonable with them. Always tell the agent that you will start as soon as possible and don't let on that you have a notice period if at all possible. You can deal with it once you have the contract.

Money in the bank depends on how in demand your skills are. I would guess that 2-3 months would be ok if your skills are popular - I'm not a developer so I have no idea what is hot atm. In any case, more is always better.

You best approach would probably be to start looking now and see how much interest you get. If you have multiple interviews within the first week then you know you can chuck in your permie job with confidance. If you get nothing for two months, at least you are still getting paid!
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Phone agents. Ask them if there is a market for your skills.

To be honest 4 weeks is not an eternity to wait if you are the right person.

If worst comes to worst walk out of your job.

If it was me I wouldnt look at this time of the year if you are still a permie. I'd wait till late Jan / early feb becauase at the moment all the pimps are having to deal with the "its January therefore I must lose weight, change job and become a pop star" people. No offense intended but the agent phoned me up today to ask if I was ready for the next contract and said they are swamped with people just flooding thier CVs in.

Comment

Spot on Dave B, you can go fishing without jumping in ! Check Jobserve, adjust CV to job that closely matches your requirements. Indicate you are available at 2 weeks notice due to holidays left, redundancy etc etc. If you put 4 weeks or sound like you are in any way doubtful about taking the job, you are off the list, simple as.
              When/if you get a call back, make sure you sound very keen, don't slag current place off too much (sounds bad) say you have outgrown role/they are downsizing/outsourcing and you want out before getting pushed etc.
              If you get an interview/offer you are in the game and can adjust start dates later. Existing co may be flexible - sit down and tell them you have an offer but need to go early - MOST places will let you leave. If they don't, go sick and sod 'em.
              The key is to get the job first - you will find the rest sorts itself out.
              HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                Branson gets around don't he

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                  Phone agents. Ask them if there is a market for your skills.

Are you mad SP? Are you seriously advising this lad to contact agents to enlighten him?!!
                  Dont do it James - they'd just to lie to you.

2nd rule of Contractor Club is dont trust agents.
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

I thought the second rule was dont talk about contractor club.

Comment

Working...
                    X