• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Requested to leave and GDPR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested to leave and GDPR

Dear Fellow Contractors,

I have been contracting for a few years now and am still getting used to the policies applied to contractors.
    I was employed by a large bank to carry out a supportive role.
    My manager wasn't the most pleasant person to work with and often made my time there very difficult.
    After two months I was requested to attend a meeting with the in-house recruiters to be informed that my services are no longer required. No reason was given.

Is there something in GDPR which could help me find out what happened?

Thank you for your help

Originally posted by Contractor911 View Post
    Dear Fellow Contractors,

I have been contracting for a few years now and am still getting used to the policies applied to contractors.
    My manager wasn't the most pleasant person to work with and often made my time there very difficult.
    After two months I was requested to attend a meeting with the in-house recruiters to be informed that my services are no longer required. No reason was given.

Thank you for your help
    You can submit a subject access request under article 15 requiring them to provide copies of all information they hold about you including email correspondence and other documentation. Make it clear what information want in the request.

However, what do you expect to achieve from this? Even if you find out why, there is little to nothing you can do about it. If the client wants you gone, you are gone. Thats how contracting works.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I hold the view that these opinions on competence or suitability are completely irrelevant, because this is what you can expect. My view is I don't seek nor heed advice from managers about how good I am or what I could do better.

I remember when we were on a project which totally went wrong and the project leader asked the manager whether he was pleased with him as he'd lost his self-confidence.This was when I realised you should never seek nor want approval from management. Be a politician !!

Ignore and move on.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 April 2019, 11:57.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Dear Fellow Contractors,

Appears that's not all you haven't gotten used to yet..
        Forget spending time trying to find out what happened. It's totally irrelevant. Absolutely nothing you can do about it even if you do find out so pointless trying.

Leave this one alone and instead spend some time learning how to be a contractor.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Appears that's not all you haven't gotten used to yet..

Forget spending time trying to find out what happened. It's totally irrelevant. Absolutely nothing you can do about it even if you do find out so pointless trying.

Leave this one alone and instead spend some time learning how to be a contractor.
          Welcome back NLUK, it was a scary 20 or so minutes when you could pass as a decent human being
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Welcome back NLUK, it was a scary 20 or so minutes when you could pass as a decent human being

This was just a tester to help me ease back in to my routine.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Alternatively you could always ask them verbally. That way you are more likely to get some honest feedback that the client would not risk putting in writing, for fear of legal action.

But as others have said, get outwards, get onwards, and get upwards.

Edit:

Did you ask them?

Comment

Dear Fellow Contractors,

Thank you for your help

Ask HR if you were an employee or your union

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  You can submit a subject access request under article 15 requiring them to provide copies of all information they hold about you including email correspondence and other documentation. Make it clear what information want in the request.

However, what do you expect to achieve from this? Even if you find out why, there is little to nothing you can do about it. If the client wants you gone, you are gone. Thats how contracting works.
                  I guess i'm curious as to what happened. I have not been in this situation before and really was confused by the news.
                  It would be interesting to see what comes up via the access of information request.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                    Alternatively you could always ask them verbally. That way you are more likely to get some honest feedback that the client would not risk putting in writing, for fear of legal action.

But as others have said, get outwards, get onwards, and get upwards.

Edit:

Did you ask them?
                    , when being requested to leave, they said they could give me no reason other than my contract was no longer needed. No gross misconducted had been reported.

Comment

Working...
                    X