PDA

View Full Version : Media Development

Mickster
12th April 2005, 16:38
Hi

I'm currently contracting for a SME, who have been asked by a client to develop an online music system. Problem is the crowd I'm contracting for have advised the client not to pursue any rights management, despite myself and another contractor advised them to implement some sort of rights management.

Question is where do I stand legally, especially given the amount of news in the media about private prosecutions. I think I'm going to ask the crowd I work for to sign a disclaimer, stating that I have advised them to offer a rights management solution and they have chosen to advise the client differently.

Would this suffice ?

Any advise would be appreciated

Cheers

Mickster

Freddy3000
13th April 2005, 10:46
I don't get it - how are you liable for anything? If your manager tells you to write a site that legally supplies music without DRM, then that's his business. Besides which, it's not illegal to have music without DRM. DRM is the spawn of satan.

Mickster
13th April 2005, 14:25
Your correct in saying that DRM is not required legally. However I have been employed to advise the client as well as build the system, therefore I need to cover my own back, should the client suggest that I didn't advise them correctly.

WageSlave1
13th April 2005, 18:52
If you are advising the client in the form a report, you could sign it on behalf of the company rather than as an individual, therefore the client is being advised by a representative of the company instead of you as an individual.

To cover your back within the company, could you state your opinion at a minuted meeting? Your view would then be officially recorded.