• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yew tree handling.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yew tree handling.

I've just received delivery of 50 1.2-1.4m yew trees, in order to create a classic British yew hedge, here in the heart of Europe, to show these Johnny Foreigners what a real hedge looks like.

My work crew arrive tomorrow to plant the hedges. Any tips in the meantime for keeping the trees a healthy as possible?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've just received delivery of 50 1.2-1.4m yew trees, in order to create a classic British yew hedge, here in the heart of Europe, to show these Johnny Foreigners what a real hedge looks like.

My work crew arrive tomorrow to plant the hedges. Any tips in the meantime for keeping the trees a healthy as possible?
    Bare root? If so, get some rootgrow to boost root development whilst getting established. Bit late now for planting bare root trees I guess...

Edit: actually you can get rootgrow for rootballed trees too - it's just a different kind of application.
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 5 April 2019, 09:57.

Comment

Yes, not very well known but keeps them in top condition. Pour a gallon of kerosene over each tree. especially focussing on the leaves, this will keep it moist, then light a single match & drop on top. This will start a warm glow over the trees that will stop any frost damage & insects. Trust me, best thing to do.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        Bare root? If so, get some rootgrow to boost root development whilst getting established. Bit late now for planting bare root trees I guess...

Edit: actually you can get rootgrow for rootballed trees too - it's just a different kind of application.
        These are rootballed. But the question is whether I can do anything for them between now and tomorrow when they get planted.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

These are rootballed. But the question is whether I can do anything for them between now and tomorrow when they get planted.
          Talk to them. Explain to them that although they may well soon be seen as immigrants, as a classic British hedge, in the EU, you will uphold their rights to remain in the EU after Brexit, although they may not enjoy the free movement that they currently enjoy (mainly due to being planted in foreign soil and not due to Brexit). Play them some Elgar, Pomp and circumstance March in one particularly like by young Yew trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
            Talk to them. Explain to them that although they may well soon be seen as immigrants, as a classic British hedge, in the EU, you will uphold their rights to remain in the EU after Brexit, although they may not enjoy the free movement that they currently enjoy (mainly due to being planted in foreign soil and not due to Brexit). Play them some Elgar, Pomp and circumstance March in one particularly like by young Yew trees.
            they're not IN the EU. - unless someone has moved Basel since i was last there

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              they're not IN the EU. - unless someone has moved Basel since i was last there
              Ok but most of which still applies especially the music which should be played very loudly.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Ask these guys

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                  Ok but most of which still applies especially the music which should be played very loudly.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                  agreed, from the top of a nearby hill in the Jura, preferably

followed by 'rule brittania' and 'jerusalem'

edit:

And on a Sunday morning

Comment

then light a single match & drop on top
                    Don't forget to inhale the delightful fumes.

warning about burning Yew logs - Living Afloat - Canal World
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X