• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use of the word GAmmon is a racist slur

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of the word GAmmon is a racist slur

Gammon: Why is this insulting term being used? | British GQ

Particularly the last paragraph which is very poignant.

"Much of this racism is oblivious, of course, but most racism is oblivious. It isn’t all shooting people in the face. To do that, you must first dehumanise them. And I can’t really think of a better modern example of dehumanisation than comparing your fellow voter to a pig because you don’t like his politics. For saying this, I will be called a Tory and worse. I’m not. I’m Labour. Compute that, comrades."

It's good to see this forum supports the use of hate speech.

Originally posted by Yorkie62

"Much of this racism is oblivious, of course, but most racism is oblivious. It isn’t all shooting people in the face. To do that, you must first dehumanise them. And I can’t really think of a better modern example of dehumanisation than comparing your fellow voter to a pig because you don’t like his politics. For saying this, I will be called a Tory and worse. I’m not. I’m Labour. Compute that, comrades."

You have failed to give any argument as to why gammon, is a racist term. If you don't like CUK, why not find a gammonflake safe space.

Comment

The term "hate speech" is an asinine neologism and anyone using it clearly has nothing constructive to say.

Insults such as "Gammon-faced" is yet another left-wing short-hand for "people whose opinions need not be engaged with". Along with "populist" and "far-right", these terms have slipped so far leftward that they encompass the majority of the population.

Comment

Calling someone a gammon isn't referring to them as a pig. It's referring to their faces going red and resembling a slice of gammon when they get angry.

I had some last night. Very tasty it was too.

Urban dictionary has a few definitions and explanations of the use of the epithet. Urban Dictionary: Gammon
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Gammons are not a race you snowflake

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            The term "hate speech" is an asinine neologism and anyone using it clearly has nothing constructive to say.

Insults such as "Gammon-faced" is yet another left-wing short-hand for "people whose opinions need not be engaged with". Along with "populist" and "far-right", these terms have slipped so far leftward that they encompass the majority of the population.
            The defining feature of gammons is not the opinions themselves but the shouty anger with which the are expressed.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

I'm not entirely convinced. I know many non-left wing people who are quite happy to use it to wind up brexiters.

I do understand that to some people on this board Hitler was a bleeding heart trendy lefty.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post

One opinion piece does not form an argument.

The logical fallacy is in the piece here:

But gammon refers to whites only – to white Christians, then.
                It doesn't apply to whites only, or to all whites, or to white Christians.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Gammons are not a race you snowflake
                  Thanks, clogger.

Comment

It's speciesist:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X