• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This sort of thing drives me mad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sort of thing drives me mad

Got a letter about my car insurance. It's up for renewal, but don't worry, if you do nothing we'll automatically renew it and charge your credit card.

But I don't want to renew. So I have to call them. And so it begins, hanging on the end of a call centre queue for 35 minutes, still no answer. Called 3 times, each time never ending queue.

cnuts.

I know its not always possible but I try and give them a cc that will expire before the renewal. That way its their job to chase you if they want the business...
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Insurance

Wouldn't happen to be Privilege would it!?

Had problems with this lot last year, received a renewal quote couple hundred more than the previous year, tried to cancel it, they still went ahead and renewed! Used www.moneysupermarket.com to compare, decent site.

Comment

Name and shame
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Can't you write them a letter stating that you do not wish to renew and get them to chase you. Easier than spending 35 mins on a phone.

I was told that in the eyes of the law a 'non response' can not be taken to be an agreement. There could be all manner of reasons why you failed to respond - you could be dead and so not in need of car insurance!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Phone your Credit Card company and ask them to block payment.

Comment

Originally posted by pisces
              Phone your Credit Card company and ask them to block payment.
              CC companies can't/won't do that. The best you can do is once the amount has been debited inform the CC company it was unauthorised. However they always side with the customer as they can profiteer by charging the debiting company a clawback fee.

Comment

It's Tesco Insurance.

I still can't get through. By the time the letter arrives the money will be taken and no doubt an admin fee for cancelling will be due.

Comment

A registered letter has been known to work. Keep it polite though.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Email em and send a letter via special delivery. Then claim it back off your credit card as unauthorised seeing as it's not a CCA.

Comment

Working...
                    X